Penn State remains under Title IX investigation

The case under investigation has been ongoing since January 23, 2014

On February 24th, the U. S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR), released a list of the high education institutions under investigation for possible violations of federal law. These violations are specific to how sexual violence and harassment is handled.

Title IX, amended in 1972, prohibits “discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs.”

Each college and university that receives federal funds must follow with Title IX. Federal investigations are targetted to the institutions that do not abide by Title IX.

Penn State was added to the list on January 23, 2014. As of now, the university is still under investigation.

“We are making this list available in an effort to bring more transparency to our enforcement work and to foster better public awareness of civil rights,” said Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Catherine E. Lhamon.

Penn State has resources available to any member of the student population who needs to report any type of sexual assault, harassment or rape.

Penn State’s Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Hotline: 1-800-560-1637

To talk with a nurse about options for care or to schedule an appointment at UHS Clinical Services, callĀ 814-863-4463

One in five women will experience sexual harassment or misconduct before they graduate college, and one in 20 men will as well. As a Penn State student, I am proud to say that under the protection of Title IX, victims will always have a voice and will always have rights.

Penn State