Things only ‘Class of 2016’ remembers

RIP, Grillers

Consider this an ode to the Class of 2016 and all we’ve been able to experience during our four beautiful years here in Happy Valley. From the scandal that rocked Penn State our senior year of high school to the untimely end of some seriously great traditions, we basically saw it all. There are a number of things the Class of 2016 was the last to experience – and those things deserve to be acknowledged.

Grillers

Pour one out for Grillers. This one truly saddens me because nothing can compare to the magic of an insanely cheap grilled cheese. Grillers was a popular late-night food spot, before shutting down in 2012 – re-opening – and then shutting down for good in 2013. It definitely was lacking in the hygiene department and anyone could make a much better grilled cheese at home, but they still got tons of business. Besides Canyon, it was the cheapest drunk food you could get downtown. The Class of 2016 was the last to be blessed with the $1 grilled cheese heaven on Beaver Ave. But the piece de resistance was the (completely random) DJ who entertained you while you waited for your grilled cheese. There was really no need to go anywhere else. You could have entire night out in one single spot. What a time to be alive.

Old school daylongs and weeklongs

Once upon a time, you didn’t need a wristband to get wasted in a frat backyard all day (or all week). Greek life has changed a lot in our four years. Chapters have come and gone, and a lot of new rules have been set into place. But Class of 2016 will be the last to experience weeklongs and daylongs – real weeklongs and real daylongs. Ones that didn’t require wristbands or an answer to the question, “What sorority are you in?” or “Who do you know here?” before being able to enter. There is truly nothing comparable to reveling in the chaos of an outdoor Penn State daylong. It’s paradise squeezed inside a temporary fence. Not too long ago, pledge classes were a lot smaller. As Greek life grew, parties had to become more exclusive. Gone are the days when you could effortlessly get drunk before noon with some elbow room.

Joe Pa statue

Soon-to-be graduating seniors entered their freshman year when Penn State was going through a whirlwind of bad press and major changes. One of those major changes was the removal of Joe Paterno’s statue from outside of Beaver Stadium. Many freshmen who were on campus for summer session were able to visit the Joe Pa statue before it was taken down. On an early Sunday morning in July of 2012, students gathered and chanted as the bronze statue got taken away. It was a moment in history that will be remembered by Penn Staters forever.

B.O.B.

Ah, the one that got away. Bill O’Brien handled the circumstances of the football program in a way that gave Penn State fans a lot of hope. Although his run as head coach only lasted two seasons, the Class of 2016 was there to see B.O.B. get the Nittany Lions back on their feet. Regardless of how people feel about him after he left for the NFL, there’s no denying that he left the football program in a much better place.

G-Man

Some of the lucky Class of 2016 students were able to experience The Gingerbread Man, more popularly referred to as “G-Man.” G-Man was an all-time favorite spot for many, but most of us didn’t turn 21 soon enough to experience it. Even so, we were able to pass by and longingly wish to be 21 already while on our way to Chipotle. The last of the G-Man generation will soon be gone, but the legacy lives on forever. Pittsburgh sandwich shop and bar Primanti Bros., which replaced G-Man, earned the title “P-Man” (clever, right?). They still make a good mind-eraser, but G-Man had a dance floor. Automatic win.

We’re only a few months away from you know what… (Shhhhh, we don’t need to talk about it just yet), but we really did have a crazy few years. We’re the final survivors of the ages of questionably cheap grilled cheese and full access to daylongs. We will take these legacies with us as we go. Here’s to us, ’16, here’s to us.

Penn State