We asked Penn State opinions on this year’s mass shootings

You get honest about the recent tragedies

This has been one eventful year, with the presidential campaigns getting into full swing (and Donald Trump at center stage), earthquakes in Nepal, NASA discovering water on Mars as just a few of the many stories. Yet, something rather tragic has been a popular topic of conversation as 2015 winds down.

A stat shown by the Washington Post produced a calendar showing all of the mass shootings that have occurred so far in 2015, having as many as five mass shootings in one day. Just to clarify, a mass shooting is defined as four or more people being killed which can also include the shooter him/herself.

Penn State has also been experiencing some scare recently, with the alleged “man with a gun” spotted on Shortlidge Road  just a few weeks ago. And then a “suspicious package” was found near Medlar Field, students seem to be running to conclusions faster than to classes.

The Tab asked Penn Staters what they think about this hectic mess by alerting them of the Washington Post statistic and hearing what they have to say in response.

Laura Toney, Junior, Psychology

I don’t understand why. Did something happen this year that’s causing this year to be so violent? Is next year going to be the same thing? A more volatile America or world? Why do people want to kill other people? Maybe this has something to do with gun laws and safety, but it leaves you with a horrible feeling.

Amanda VanTreuren, Junior, Hospitality and Tourism

People can’t live in fear of terrorism and let it get in the way of enjoying their lives.

Garrett Freese, Freshman, Undecided

I actually never heard [that statistic] but that is very surprising and upsetting. When I hear that I think that something needs to change. I feel as though the wrong people are getting guns and the right people are not, because when you look at it this way, the second amendment has been around since the founding of this country and it seems as though gun violence has really only escalated in the past couple of years.

So will more laws really prevent anything? I feel as though gun violence is on the rise due to lack of family values and just how our society has changed.

Erin O’Neill, Sophomore, Statistics

I feel sad for the families and those close to the victims. I also believe it is an issue not of guns or borders, but of mental health and I think that the national leaders should be focusing on this problem first in hopes to make our nation a safer place.

Evan O’Hara, Junior, Energy Business and Finance

Makes me feel like there’s something that was missing. There’s a lot of fingers pointing and blaming of different groups or different political ideas but it’s only getting worse. It’s really scary.

Antonella Crescimbeni, Junior, Photojournalism and BFA

It’s scary to think that it can happen at any time on this campus with no warning at all. I also think that it’s alarming how shootings are common thing in the news and when I hear about it now, I’m so used to it that I’m not surprised that one has happened. It’s gotten to a point where if we as a society don’t act now, it’ll be an everyday occurrence and it’ll become a normal thing.

Kyle MacDonald, Senior, Engineering

After hearing such an explicit statistic, my first reactive emotion would be disbelief. The blessing of life is nothing less than precious. Hearing such a statistic put in the context of something to which everyone can relate — the length of a year — lends a perspective to this severe issue and promotes a sense of urgency.

Penn State