What are the best and worst Christmas songs of all time?

The songs Penn State loves and hates

It’s finally December, which means the wonderful (or unwelcome) sounds of the festive season will dominate the musical airwaves of just about every apartment and throughout the HUB. Practically unavoidable, the holiday season has its own soundtrack that ought to get you feeling the Christmas spirit.

With that in mind, The Tab decided to examine the season’s best and worst yuletide tunes according to you.

The good

The good holiday songs withstand the test of time and provoke that warm, fuzzy feeling of nostalgia that makes the Christmas season that much better.

“Nothing gets me more in a festive mood than Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You,'” said Nicole Gandy, a senior Marketing major.

“I’ll blast it year ‘round. It’s just more socially acceptable during this time of year.”

Jack Simmons, another senior, prefers the slower sounds.

“You can’t go wrong with ‘White Christmas’ or ‘It’s The Most Wonderful Time of The Year,’ but nothing tops ‘Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire’ by Nat King Cole.

“I like to pop in a cigar and take a seat by the fire place with that song playing on the stereo.”

“I know it’s not a traditional upbeat Christmas song, but my favorite is by far ‘The Christmas Shoes,'” said freshman Julie Parham.

“It’s such a beautiful song. I have to fight back tears almost every time I listen to it,” she said.

Some of this seasons most popular songs include “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree,” “Jingle Bell Rock,” and “Feliz Navidad,” according to Billboard’s 2016 Holiday Top 100. Other songs we heard from students included Bruce Springsteen’s “Santa Clause is Coming to Town” and “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber.

The bad

The holiday season also produces a handful of carols that are flat out annoying and overplayed.

“‘I’d say ‘Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer’ is the worst Christmas song,” said junior Noah Boyett.

“It’s annoying, overrated and hard on the ears- not to mention it also has the dumbest lyrics and message. Grandma getting killed by Santa’s sleigh? Makes me wonder how people find it amusing,” he added.

“‘I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus,'” said freshman Carly Patrick.

“I hated that song growing up! It’s messed up and obnoxious. Mommy kissing Santa Claus and cheating on Daddy would ruin Christmas, I would think.”

Noah and Carly weren’t alone with their opinions. Many of the students we surveyed had similar evaluations of the two songs and viewed them as the worst holiday songs.

“‘All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth’ is an atrocity of music,” said Martin Clark, a senior MIS major.

“Yeah, the kid with the speech impediment is just so precious and adorable,” he added, rolling his eyes.

Penn State