The secret behind the Route 322 Statue of Liberty

Mystery gem of the Susquehanna River

Pennsylvania: home of the Liberty Bell, a town called Intercourse and apparently a mini statue of Lady Liberty.

As you’re driving along Route 322 towards Philadelphia from State College on your trek back home for Thanksgiving break, eventually you’ll come upon her. She’s the 25-foot mystery gem of the Susquehanna River- a small Statue of Liberty essentially in the middle of nowhere… why?

In 1986, the townspeople of Dauphin, Pennsylvania woke up one morning and happened to see the mysterious statue outside their windows. They didn’t have a clue where the statue came from or who built it.

It wasn’t until the 1990s when the creator, a local lawyer, came forth and claimed the second Lady Liberty as his own work of art. Crafted from Venetian blinds and plywood, the original statue was made for the centennial celebration for the real Statue of Liberty in New York City.

After being destroyed by weather, the original statue was replaced after local residents raised enough money to build a faster, better, stronger replica.

So now it all makes sense… kinda. While still shrouded in some cloud of mystery, be sure to check out the Lady herself along Route 322.

Penn State