We asked Penn State students whether we should take in Syrian refugees

Does the old ‘Sharing is caring’ motif still apply?

Buildings reduced to rubble. Crying children. The smashed and vacant faces of civilians. The cold and hardened ones of rebel fighters.

We’ve all seen these photos of the Syrian Civil War, and they’ve only been popping up on our newsfeeds more frequently.

After four brutal years, the Syrian civil war rages on and there seems to be no end in sight for the conflict between rebel factions and Bashar Al-Assad’s regime.

In light of Governor Tom Wolf’s recent decision to offer Syrian refugees solace in Pennsylvania, however, The Tab decided to find out what Penn State students think about providing shelter for these war-stricken people.

Fortunately, nearly every student who broached the topic began by immediately expressing open mindedness and kindness towards Syrians seeking safety and refuge. However some were not as supportive.

Logan Smith, Daniel Keller and Michael Warioba, Sophomores

Logan: “From a humanistic standpoint, it’s a good idea just because like everyone should be treated equally, but at the same time it’s going to hurt our economy.”

Daniel: “If we give them jobs, that would be fine, they should be given new opportunities. I believe that we should protect them in some way”

Michael: “Set up milestones. Like, stuff you have to do to assimilate. Get a job. Make it a process.”

Logan: “Yeah, don’t give it away. Make it a process.”

Nick Harding, Junior

“People should always have refuge from a government that is putting their people under undue pressure.

“I’ve seen videos of people in Greece taking boats of people across the sea, and I thought that was great. I think our government should always provide safe haven from countries that are in civil dispute. Land of the free, right?”

Pete Goodman, Sophomore

“I think it’s a humanitarian issue. I dont think its right to just leave these people out to dry who are having their homes destroyed and their lives ruined. I don’t know, I’ve seen comparisons to the whole, like, World War II German-Austrian refugee crisis and how American sentiment back then was exactly the same as it is now, but its Syrian refugees.

“There have to be measures taken, of course. I think it is right to care and to take people in, but there do have to be measures or some sort of check to make sure we’re not letting the wrong people in.”

Everyone seemed to agree with Pete that, while letting refugees in is a U.S. responsibility, certain measures need to be taken to minimize the risk to U.S. national security.

For example, Domenic Continenza asserted that the government should straighten out the national housing problem before taking in so many extra people.

Dominic Continenza, Junior

“We have 50,000 homeless Americans, so I think we should deal with that first, but at the same time I definitely think we should consider letting these people in.

“I don’t have a strong opinion about yet because we still have to find out exactly what’s going on over there. Personally, I’m leaning towards yes, we should let them in, but at the same time we’d  need like intensive background checks and whatnot for them to be admitted as citizens.”

Nick DePalma, Sophomore

“It’s tough because we’ve got a lot going on, but I think it’s fine.

“If they’re not the ones involved with the militia fighting, and they’re not the ones attacking, I don’t think that they should be judged. You know, just because of racism and ignorance and whatever, they shouldn’t be associated with the group or the majority.”

Caroline Wilson also pleaded political neutrality, but expressed concerned about U.S. safety and the consequences of taking in these refugees.

Caroline Wilson, Sophomore

“You don’t know who’s coming over. I would be open to letting them in if there was a pretty organized process to go about it.

“Honestly, I’m kind of neutral about it because I kind of understand both sides, like, I understand we have a humanitarian duty to kind of take them in. Because there are little kids coming over that desperately need, you know, homes and food and stuff. But I also understand that we have a lot of things to worry about for Americans.”

Nathan Meyers, Sophomore

“Honestly, these people need help, but I’m scared because ISIS could be anywhere among them and we wouldn’t know.

“They could be coming in with however many refugees we let in here, no matter how much we background check them, and that makes us vulnerable to an attack. So, yes, I see that the people need refuge, but I don’t know. The whole ISIS thing scares me. It’s spooky.”

Tom Lynch, Senior

“I think that coming to that decision right away might have been a little too hasty. I think there should be a little bit of thought put into it. Like, a month time frame. See if it cools down a little bit.

“I would say, right now, no. There needs to be more investigation. I wouldn’t be against it down the road because they have a very bad situation over there. The U.S. and Europe are trying to help out, but I think that right now you need to kind of protect yourself a little bit before you can protect others. I don’t think allowing everyone to come in right away is really setting ourselves up for safety.”

Penn State