Frackets: Fashionable or functional, what’s your pick?

Although the fall has been unseasonably warm here in State College, it won’t last for long…

It’s 3am in State College and the party has just come to a halt. Frat floors are drenched in who-knows-what and you’re dreading the frigid walk home. Immediately you regret putting down your $200 jacket you got for Christmas last year because that high end jacket has indeed been kidnapped.

But wait, there is a solution to this problem. Wear a fracket and there will be no need to stress over losing this article of clothing, because who cares about a shitty sweatshirt with some girl’s name on it you don’t even know?

Us girls are all faced with the agonizing decision — “fashionable or functional?” Sure you want to look cute as you arrive at the destination of your nightly adventure, but at what cost? One could reason that it’s important to wear a chic fracket that perfectly complements her party outfit, because that guarantees to impress the pledge who is minding the door — no standing in line!

On the other hand, when the temp barely rises above zero, should you be functional?  Consider the ankle length down coat, cozy enough to curl up on the corner of East Prospect for the night or just your run of the mill oversized mens sweatshirt. It’s risky though… you may be left to stand in line like all the other poor souls… and where does that leave you? Your body might be warm but your feet are blocks of ice, because who would ever consider wearing practical footwear?

Now that is taking it too far. Or is it?  Maybe I’m on to something — Could this be the start of Frat Shoes?  Maybe I’ll call them “froes…”

But for now to help my fellow fracket-searching girls out, here are some examples of your typical functional vs. fashionable go to frackets.

Fashionable

Meg Ertel, a freshman majoring in Psychology, rocks the “fashionable” styled fracket.

Hannah Broadwell, a freshman with a Security and Risk Analysis major, chooses the sleek “fashionable”approach to compliment her formal dress.

Freshman Kelly Klein chooses to wear her fury white coat for a Friday night out.

Olivia Kreider, an undeclared freshman, wears her army green jacket to match her leggings and combat boots.

Sophomore Melisa Ozcan is feeling trendy in her sheep-skin fracket.

Functional

Although freshman Kate Wahl is on her way to a formal event, she decided it was best to stay cozy for the walk and opts to her big grey hoodie.

Freshman Ellen Moser proudly wears her bath robe fracket to stay warm from State College’s brutal weather…despite all the stares she receives she’s happy knowing she is fighting the cold in her most functional way.

Freshman Lexi Naber decides on a rain coat fracket to stay dry before she attends her formal.

Penn State