My mom was in Paris when tragedy struck

A French student’s perspective on the Paris attacks

Friday, November 13, 2015.

As I was listening to music peacefully with my friends in their apartment, my phone rang.

– “Are grandma and mom OK?”

– “Yes, everyone is safe.”

Everything happened on a Friday night. A Friday night where people were drinking, dancing, loving. Those people were enjoying life while others took that away from them.

Five years ago, I moved from France to Houston, TX. I never realized how difficult it would be being an international student at an American college. It is definitely a challenging situation since you don’t see or talk to your parents and siblings as much as in-state students because of the distance and time difference.

It is sadly in crisis situations like the Paris tragedy when you put everything in perspective.

Having my family spread out all around the globe made it even more difficult. I was texting my parents when it all happened. My mom was in Paris with my grandmother, my big sister was in London and my dad was in Houston with my little sister.

My mom wouldn’t answer my texts and it could’ve been for another reason than the time difference, but thankfully it wasn’t – she was safe. My big sister was reaching out to her friends in Paris while I was doing the same thing.

My sisters at The Palace of Versailles

Today, I realize how lucky I am that my loved ones are safe, but I am still in disbelief of what happened that Friday night.

This tragedy is not the first one and not the last one. What happened in Paris happened in Beirut the day before, in Syria and many other places. Terrorism knows no boundaries.

With six locations attacked, 129 dead and at least 350 wounded people, the attacks were the deadliest in France since the Second World War.

In this difficult time and no matter the distance, all my thoughts go to the people hurt in this tragedy.

The City of Lights will keep shining and spreading love even during the darkest times.

Penn State