The worst things about eating in dining halls

Why isn’t there a froyo station in Redifer?

As a Penn State freshman, you have had your fair share of visits to the various dining commons on campus.  As many of us have a favorite dining hall, we all know the major disappointments that accompany going to a dining hall.  This piece features East, Pollock, Redifer, North, and West commons.

The loooooooong lines

When going to a dining hall on campus, every student subjects themselves to waiting in long lines.  The first two weeks of school always have the worst lines.  The overpopulation is caused by everyone going to the commons every night to eat with their new friends from East.  Of all the dining commons, Pollock always seems to have the most obnoxious wait.

Why are cookies the best in West?

The west side of campus is home to Waring Commons, which is mostly known because of their freshly baked cookies.  The cookies are warm, gooey and always fresh out of the oven.  If West can accomplish such perfection in cookie heaven, why can’t other commons do the same? Aren’t all these dining halls under the same company?

Nacho night is not all it’s cracked up to be

“Nacho Night” in Findlay Commons is every freshmen’s dream.  With wonderful toppings and the fact it’s essentially “free” because of meal points, what’s not to like? For me, the congealed, orange cheese sauce and mystery meat ruins my expectations for loaded nachos.

I found one freshman, Michael, who had previously attended nacho night and decided to get his take on it.  “I think nacho night is pretty cool because it’s a different food option from the commons and I don’t have to spend money downtown from getting nachos delivered to my dorm”.

So keep on going to nacho night Michael, but I’m going to have to pass and hit up Mad Mex instead.

No froyo station in Redifer

Redifer is known as having the most cuisine options out of all the dining halls, but what they don’t have is a make-your-own froyo station.  I’m talking mega toppings and outrageous flavor options.  What we really need is Kiwi Frozen Yogurt to open a pop-up location in Redifer Commons.

Carly, a senior here, also thinks Redifer needs more. She said: “Even just a healthy place like fresh/organic food that’s more natural and not greasy and fried,” and I certainly agree.

North Dining Commons?

The real issue with Warnock Commons in North Halls is no-one really knows of it, or for that matter goes there.  Unless you’re an architecture student who practically lives in the studio, students don’t venture up North.  The food is satisfactory and has a few options, but it’s ultimately too far. 

What’s to like about Waring Commons?  Justin, from North Halls, said: “the salads, soups, sandwiches, and grill area is a really convenient and quick option when I’m in a rush, not to mention the food is pretty good”.

Do you think students should this commons more often?  “I definitely think most people don’t know about it, but they should give it a try”.

Better hours

The odd dining hall times most certainly don’t fit into all of our schedules.  Breakfast should not end until 10.30am and dinner should continue until 10pm. To be honest, no one in college is trying to schedule a class before 10am so if they wake up at 9.30am there won’t be anything to eat until lunch. Dinner time isn’t like going to grandma’s house on Sunday at 6.30pm. It changes every night and it does not get easier when it gets deeper into the semester. Homework and extracurricular activities can have you out until 8pm and then it’s up to you to find food or order food, even though you have a meal plan.

No more meal points

My fellow upperclassmen know the struggle of not being able to swipe our unlimited meal points in the commons once we move off campus.  We’ve entered the world of fending for ourselves in the kitchen or spending an absurd amount of money on Order-up.  As much as I enjoy a glass of wine with my leftover Chinese takeout, I would love it if I could load my tray up at the commons. Convenience is totally worth it!

Another Penn State senior, Meghan, agrees with the need to be able to swipe her meal points.  “Sometimes my schedule is too busy and I don’t have enough time to make a healthy or delicious meal.  I could definitely benefit from going back the dining halls once in a while.”

Penn State