Penn State responds to Philadelphia college threat

With more school shootings than ever, how seriously should we take these threats?

After an anonymous threat on online message board 4chan, the greater Philadelphia area was tense with the fear of a non-specific attack on a local college or university set at 2pm yesterday.

The FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) issued warnings of potential violence to all colleges and universities in the Philadelphia area.

However, classes resumed as normal on Penn State’s Abington, Brandywine, and Great Valley campuses and students were advised to report any concerns or suspicious activity to police.

The United States has had 45 school shootings in 2015 alone. How often do we take threats against schools and colleges seriously? How seriously should we even take them? How do we go about our everyday lives with threats looming over us?

Ashley Beyer, a junior at Penn State Abington, said: “I usually go from my job straight to school at 9am and study to get my work done at the library until my first class starts at 1. It’s 12.30pm and I’m still sitting at home contemplating whether or not I’m going to class today.”

Instead of canceling yesterday’s classes and events, Penn State University Police and Public Safety sent out an email to all students and faculty at the campus saying they’re “operating with heightened awareness and diligence.”

Penn State alum Emily Kang, 23, said: “I feel uneasy because what if a bombing were to really happen. I would feel so guilty that I was unable to convince my friends to not attend school that day.”

For students who started out at branch campuses, like junior Yuanwei Li, the fear is not for themselves, but for friends.

She said: “I worry about them and hope they will be OK. I hope the school can protect them.”

Junior Paul Suscavage said: “These types of threats, however, should call for school closing to keep the students, faculty, and staff safe.”

Is it right not to cancel classes on a day where a threat against the safety of students is possible?

“I won’t be able to focus on anything we are talking about in class,” said Ashley. “I’ll be constantly worrying today about everyone who is attending school and I can’t wait for this day to be over.”

Last year, University Park faced a similar situation regarding a threat at the HUB, an event Samantha Nelson, 20, junior, recalls well.

She said: “I think we take threats pretty seriously. I wasn’t there last year during the HUB threat, but I know they set out a text alert and found the kid who wrote the post within a matter of days.

“I’m happy that they looked into it and caught the guy, even though it did turn out to be a prank. It set a standard that those kinds of jokes won’t be tolerated here.”

Chuck Marsh, Director of University Relations at Penn State Abington gave an update, saying: “The status hasn’t changed, and we continue to be vigilant. Media has reported that today was the day, but now that it passed we can breathe a little easier.”

In a statement directed to all nervous Penn State students, faculty, and staff, Marsh responded: “It’s all understandable and we hope that we’ve given you a feeling of security with the officers on campus. With all the watching eyes, we hope that we’ve given you a higher sense of security.”

The vague message posted on 4chan the day after the Umpqua Community College massacre reads:

“The first of our kind has struck fear into the hearts of  America. His cries have been heard, even by the President.

“This is only the beginning. The Beta Rebellion has begun. Soon, more of our brothers will take up arms to become martyrs to this revolution.

“On October 5, 2015 at 1:00 CT, a fellow robot will take up arms against a university near Philadelphia. His cries will be heard, his victims will cower in fear, and the strength of the Union will decay a little more. 

“If you are in that area, you are encouraged to stay at home and watch the news as the chaos unfolds. His sacrifice will echo throughout the nation. 

“I plead to thee, brothers! We only have but one chance, one spark, for our revolution. The United States will soon condemn us to the status quo forever, and soon after, the United Nations. Don’t let our one chance at writing history slip away. Martyr yourself for the cause or support those who have the courage to do so. We have the chance to make the world a better place for betas everywhere.

“Hiro have mercy on us all. Lend us your strength to fight this evil.”

Penn State