THON suspends upcoming Canning Weekend

It’s part of a safety review after Tally Sepot passed away

Following the tragic death of Penn State sophomore Tally Sepot, THON has suspended Canning Weekend Number Two

THON executive director Katie Mailey announced the cancellation of the October 23rd-25th weekend citing safety concerns.

She said: “There is no doubt that this has been an extremely difficult week for many in our THON and Penn State communities after the loss of Tally Sepot.

“Our hearts continue to be with Tally’s family and friends during this heartbreaking time.

“This past week, we have received multiple emails and calls from community members concerned with volunteer safety.

“We want to make sure we carefully consider these concerns and take the necessary time to evaluate how to make our fundraising practices safer for the future of our organization.”

THON 2014

She added: “Because of this, the second Fundraising Outreach & Canning Weekend for THON 2016, October 23-25, will be suspended.

“This is to ensure that the safety and welfare of our volunteers remains the top priority of our organization, while allowing for an opportunity to evaluate our policies and procedures before the third Fundraising Outreach & Canning Weekend, scheduled for November 13-15.

“We are working to implement additional safety procedures, and will update our volunteers as soon as possible regarding the status of the third Fundraising Outreach & Canning Weekend for the THON 2016 season.”

At this time, the third Canning Weekend scheduled for November 13-15 is still a go. These next few weeks will be used to conduct a full review of the safety procedures surrounding canning.

Check out Tally’s Go Fund Me page here.

Penn State