What Brazilians at Penn really think about America

‘Frats and frat boys were kind of weird’

Brazil. Think of it, and the images that probably come to your mind are of beaches, soccer, Rio de Janeiro, Carnaval and occasionally, the Amazon. We’re used to that.

Just watching the classic Brazil vs. Argentina soccer game sparked an endless list of our true thoughts on America. 

So we thought we would share a little bit of what we think (or used to t think) about the US.

Thais Bernik, Wharton, Class of ’16 – also the president of the Penn Brazil Club

“When I first got here, I didn’t quite connect with the Americans and so preferred to hang out with the Latinos instead. But three years later, this has obviously changed.

“Another thing: Frats and frat boys were kind of weird – I had only seen such things in movies up until then. After I joined a sorority, however, frats became a part of my reality and frat boys became my friends.

“Also out of a movie? Dining halls. Oh, and on that note: food portions here are so huge.”

Raphael Cohen, Wharton, Class of ’19

“It’s funny how here Halloween is such a big deal while in Brazil it’s practically nothing. I like it.

“Something that took some time to get used to was how early the meals are here. At first, it was bizarre to think of having dinner at 6pm, even 7 seemed unnatural, but now it’s a normal thing for me. (Side note: in Brazil we normally have breakfast early, lunch at around 2pm, and dinner at around 9pm)

“And the time – why do you guys use am/pm instead of a 24-hour clock?”

Ana Beatriz Valente, College, Class of ’19

“The drinking age! In Brazil, we can drink at 18 and it’s so weird to come here and be under age until you’re 21!

“Food takes some time to get used to around here. It seems a bit artificial and fattening, not as fresh as our food back home.”

Bernardo Sarti, Huntsman Program, Class of ’19

“I like parties, but partying Thursday through Saturday takes skill.”

Nicole Almeida, College, Class of ’19

“Not greeting people with hugs and kisses is so weird. Shaking hands seems very official, like are we signing a contract or something?

“Speaking Fahrenheit, inches, feet, ounces and miles is something I don’t think I’ll be able to ever do.

“And the weather here manages to be even crazier than in São Paulo – one day it’s raining and cold, and the other it’s warm and sunny, all in November. Isn’t it supposed to be really cold (and only cold) right now?”

UPenn: Penn