Saxbys awakening: FREE COFFEE TODAY

Run. Run. Run.

Free Coffee at Saxbys! ALL DAY!

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 2.19.17 PM

This semester was tough for many beyond-40th-street-off-campus residents. Upon their arrival in August, they faced the apocalyptic news of Saxbys temporary closure.

This meant an excruciating seven minute walk to the nearest Starbucks, Wawa, HubBub or Capo or a nearly 24-minute wait at Metro.

After a long and dreadful wait, the miracle store finally reopened. TODAY. And it is serving FREE COFFEE all day long.

“We’re giving out free coffee today,” said Reed, the coffee shop manager.

Their communications director Kara Solarz explained some of the new changes: “The aim was to make it a great space where students can study, hang out, meet professors…

“We really tried brightening the place and making it convenient for students by having larger tables which are not too close to each other and most importantly we provide lots of outlets for their laptops.”

The convenience of this place was also noted by the excited customers: “I see it as functional – it has a lot of outlets and I live really close so I’m really happy it’s open.”

Daniel Eder also commented on the style: “it has a bit of a Hubbub vibe (haha) but looks really nice and sleek”

David Lee and Laura Koo told us that they “like the style” and that the “vibes are good.”

The music is also quite on point, in my opinion.

Michelle Ra was also delighted by the reopening: “I live across the street and this is definitely gonna be my new spot.”

“I used to walk all the way to Hubbub but now this proximity is great. I also like that it’s bright, but not too bright.”

They’ve even integrated an art gallery element– Not only is all of the millwork around the bar custom-made, it is also inspired by Locust walk.

Also, Saxbys is working with the Department of Fine Arts at Penn. Each semester, a few art pieces made by Penn students are chosen to be exposed on Saxbys walls.

The current exhibition is called “Dichotomy” and was curated this morning by seniors Gina DeCagna and Terrill Warrenburg.

UPenn: Penn