Students for Justice in Palestine install black flag memorial on campus

Each flag is a tribute to a life lost in Gaza in Operation Protective Edge

“Are these ISIS flags?” “A dead terrorist is a good terrorist.”

These are just some of the conclusions that students came to in regard to the annual memorial held by the “Students for Justice in Palestine” organization for the lives lost in Gaza due to Operation Protective Edge.

We spoke to the co-chairs of the “Students for Justice in Palestine” group to get a better sense of what the memorial represents and how they feel about the actions taken against it by other students.

The two described the significance of the memorial stating that each flag represents a life lost and includes the name of the individual, also mentioning the fact that the United Nations predicts that Gaza is in such a destructive state currently that it will be uninhabitable by the year 2020.

This statement is contested by the UN

The memorial, while commemorating the lives lost during the Gaza War, also brings to light the detrimental conditions that plague the current residents of Gaza.

Some students, who disagreed with them removed the signs placed by Students for Justice in Palestine in order to place their own.

The co-chairs were most concerned with the fact that open expression when it comes to the issue of Palestine not respected.

The first chair said: “Student organizations should feel safe on campus having a memorial for people that were killed.”

“We were all struck by how easy it is for people to dehumanize others.”

UPenn: Penn