My dad was a frat star on Parent Weekend

‘My whole family’s inner frat star showed that day’

This weekend at Penn kicked off in a less typical manner: parents were everywhere.

While we encountered plenty enjoying the weather while strolling down Locust or spending quality time with siblings and animals, The Tab was on the lookout for some of the less conventional Parent Weekend activities the beloved families of Penn took part in.

While some students may have felt a bit more restricted engaging in their usual social endeavors by the presence of their parents, others felt more encouraged and the bravest even brought their parents along to parties.

I took my mom to a frat’s fundraiser BBQ. Besides enjoying the company of other parents and giving her opinion on guys, she said that she was “Amused about the game where you have to throw Ping-Pong balls in beer cups.”

I attribute that to her European college experience. “However, I had the best time meeting my daughters’ friends and some of their lovely parents and going out to brunch.”

Amy Chen (College, Sophomore), Lisa Hoffer-Matlin, Olivia Matlin (College, Sophomore), Mihaela Geoana (my mother)

While my mother was quite confused about the Beer-Pong game, other parents were naturals…

‘My whole family’s inner frat star showed that day’: Sophomore Emily Gerszberg and her family

But it weren’t just Emily’s parents who were ahead of the game. Her younger brother Simon, who is only a sophomore in high school, also showed his true potential .

He left the audience in awe when he scored in Beer-Pong by bouncing the ball off the wall. He probably already has a bid from the best frats at Penn. #Rush101.

On the other side of the table, his own team’s MVP was Olivia Matlin’s (College, Sophomore) father, Dave. A former member of ZBT, David Matlin sums up his weekend experience for The Tab: “I was taken by the warmth of it all – the kids really welcoming us into their daily lives.”

“The full breadth of the Penn experience—catching up on my daughter’s academic semester, meeting her friends’ parents and siblings, and… trying my luck at beer pong!”

Parents appearing at Penn’s party scene didn’t stop there. The real troopers were those who made it to the late night…

Pamela and Bertrand Boulet were visiting their son, Alexandre (College, Sophomore), all the way from Paris. They were definitely the stars of Saturday night’s Walnut late night, “He’s living four years of college in one night” Pamela Boulet tells us about her husband.

Not only were Alexandre’s parents extremely cute together, they were also great company. His mother even advised me on what professors I should look out for: “You’re a Communications major?! You have to take a class with Professor Eisenhower. He is an amazing speaker, I would imagine how great of a professor he is.”

I have met many cool parents this weekend, but these may have been my favorite. Adopt me, Alexandre?

UPenn: Penn