If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late

Penn let’s talk about our long-standing Drake obsession.

If you haven’t been under a rock for the past few months, you know the phenomenon that’s hit the entire world by storm: Hotline Bling by Drake.

It’s basically consumed everyone’s lives, but then again no one is really complaining. So naturally we decided to take this – let’s be honest – longterm Drake obsession to the next level.

The Tab hit the streets and asked Penn students what Drake lyric they were and why, and what we think it says about you.

You know us, always asking the real questions…

Perrin C., CAS ’19

Lyric and song

Money taught me spanish: Make it andale !”

-“Legend” from If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late

Why

That’s how I started learning Spanish. Also, I learned if you ain’t talking money I don’t want to talk.

Our take

This here is the universal law which students of all colleges could agree with: If you’re making money, make it andale. And if you’re not making money…why are you here again? It really speaks to the inner Whartonite in all of us. #PreProfessional

Kenja F., CAS ’19

Lyric and song

“Last name Ever, First name Greatest.”

-Forever (Single) ft. Eminem, Kanye West, and Lil Wayne

Why

It was his first big song, I think. Plus, I thought it was clever.

Our take

There could only be one great one. And that great one is obviously in the College. I mean it is the first school of Penn (sorry, Wharton. You tried.) and therefore, the best.

Honestly we see you Kenja, in being the greatest, one must be subtle; so quoting Drake to make people know you’re the greatest is the best way to go.

Fernando F., CAS/Wharton ’18 (Huntsman)

Lyric and song

“Right or wrong, I’mma right my wrongs.”

Why

It’s about leaving your mark, no matter what you do. People will always remember you for the bad and the good.

Our take

Truly admirable Fernando. However, if we were being completely honest, we’d rather not be remembered for our first Math 104 midterm grade.

Or our behavior at NSO….as a matter of fact, could we just not be remembered for Freshmen year? Either way, our time at Penn is LEGEN- wait for it- DARY !

Walter L., CAS ’19

Lyric and song

“Wish you would learn to love people and use things, and not the other way around.”

-“Connect” from Nothing Was the Same

Why

I really resonated with this. I don’t know.

Our take

Same. Walter. Same. But honestly, we love Insomnia cookies more than we love Amy G. So would it be wrong to use her to buy Insomnia cookies? Or to get free printing? Thoughts?

Pele C., SEAS‘17

Lyric and song

“Like a sprained ankle boy, I ain’t nothing to play with”

Why

I sprained my ankle last week.

Our take

Sure we may work hard, but we play harder. We don’t know how Pele sprained his ankle, but one can assume it was an awesome “You had to be there” moment.

So a warning  to all you other universities out there: watch out and take notes, Pele ain’t playin’ games.

Ray C., CAS ’17

Lyric and Song

“Never thought I’d be talking from this perspective, but I’m not really sure what else you expected.

When the higher-ups have all come together as a collective, with conspiracies to end my run and send me a message.

40, did you get the message? Cause I checked my phone and I didn’t get it.”

-30 for 30 Freestyle

Why

It’s the first time I could ever really respect Drake, y’know? It was the first time he wasn’t soft anymore. It was like watching one of your children grow up.

Our take

What a bildungsroman (look at that Ivy League education at work). Ray, you are correct. This is a great example of how much Drake has grown since “Best I Ever Had.”

It’s kind of like going from SAB-ing in Van Pelt to hanging at Smokes. Growth is inevitable.

Becca L.,CAS ’19

Lyric

“Nicki, you can get whatever you like.”

-Drake to Nicki Minaj at a Convenience Store

Why

I want to be Nicki, duh.

Our take

Such a rebel, not even picking a song lyric! But seriously, who wouldn’t want to have Drizzy buy them whatever they want from a convenience store?

Clearly you have your head on straight, being the only one who combined Nicki, food and Drizzy in one quote. We approve.

Though we may all have different favorite Drake songs and some of us may identify as Headlines while others are more Worst Behavior, we can all agree, what a time to be alive….

UPenn: Penn