We asked Penn kids: ‘How much is Amy Gutmann worth?’

Love her or hate her, you have to admit—Penn kids sure love to talk about her

At Penn, there are three types of people–those who love Amy Gutmann, those who don’t, and those who don’t care.

As if that wasn’t clear enough, ever since that infamous salary report, it seems that everyone has an opinion on Amy G’s 3 million.

Love her or hate her, you have to admit—Penn students love to talk about her. We asked a few Quakers what they think about the figure Penn’s leading lady is raking in yearly.

Honestly, it’s not like Amy needs a legion of fans to keep her in her position. But it’s probably nice to know that some people on campus are very eager to defend her accomplishments.

Matthew Sanasac, Sophomore

“I think Amy is worth every cent that she’s getting paid. She’s an excellent president and she’s doing everything she can to make Penn better.”

Hani Warith, Sophomore

“I support Amy. If you look just at what she’s getting paid it might seem exorbitant, but if you look at her contribution to Penn, it’s entirely justified.”

A lot of people were generous in their egalitarian vitriol, but a lot were unfortunately also reluctant to disclose their names. Naomi, class of 2019, eloquently sums up their perspective.

Naomi Elegant, Freshman

“I can’t wrap my head around how money she gets paid. Like is she an NBA star? What is she doing with this and why isn’t she paying for my tuition?”

Others apply their academic experience to interpret the bigger picture.

Arjun Malik, Sophomore

“All I can say is, Marx was really onto something.”

And then there are those who tread the path of blissful ignorance or plain dismissal, choosing perhaps to focus their energy on thriving in their Ivy League education. Sponsored, of course, by the beloved Gutmann.

Ahaan Arora, Freshman

“I don’t think it would be fair for me to comment without first knowing more about her.”

Robert Patrick Dowling, Sophomore

“Who cares?”

Aran, Freshman

“Wait, what does she even do?

UPenn: Penn