The frat ratio is bad for boys as well as girls, let’s abolish it

An argument from a Penn freshman

The frat ratio exists for one simple purpose: for frat boys to have the most opportunities to have sex.

What other possible argument could be made?

It is immensely unpopular among students generally, but as a freshmen at Penn, my friends and I have recently experienced the negative impact of the ratio first hand.

To be clear, I am not disturbed by the sex-oriented nature of parties. I am disturbed by the implications the ratio has for girls.

The ratio objectifies women. My friend, Tandra Mitchell, a fellow freshman, put it well when she said: “I didn’t think there was anything wrong with it until some guys I know hit me up to go to a party because they needed me for their ratio.”

She said: “It kind of just made me feel used. Why do they need to know that I have breasts and a vagina to let these other guys in?”

A male friend, a freshman who wished to remain anonymous, agreed: “Girls become a commodity at a party, and it’s creepy. On the other hand, I know girls who don’t want to go to a party where there are a hundred guys. Girls would probably feel safer with a 2:1 ratio, girls to guys, than a 2:1 ratio, guys to girls.”

Penn kids wait in line to enter a party at last year’s Spring Fling.

Though many agree with the previous point, most people you speak to at Penn focus on how bad the ratio is for boys.

But at the end of the day, boys are just getting rejected from a party. They can go to another party.

And even though girls get into parties because of the ratio, they are simultaneously receiving something much worse than a “no.” They risk becoming prey to any potential predators behind closed doors at the frats.

According to the big report on sexual assault released Monday by the AAU, 12 percent of Penn undergraduate females have experienced penetrative assault, while just over one in four percent of undergraduate females experienced sexual touching since coming to Penn. In contrast, 6 percent of undergraduate males were victims of penetrative assault or sexual touching.

The report states: “There are significant differences in the prevalence rates by gender… Female undergraduates have a rate that is approximately five times higher than male undergraduates.”

Penn kids at the Pool Party during NSO

While it would be wrong to suggest all sexual assaults occur at fraternities or sororities, the report found 47.4 percent of penetrative assaults using force occurred on campus fraternities or sororities, and 41.2 percent of penetrative assaults by incapacitation occurred on campus fraternities or sororities.

For sexual touching on campus, 62.3 percent experienced it with force while 54.5 percent were incapacitated at fraternities or sororities.

Yes, many people, including girls, going to parties anticipate on hooking-up. But that means the dominant party hosts on campus, frats, have added responsibility to create a space where people can have fun and are not targeted maliciously.

The ratio isn’t good for anyone. Boys don’t get in because they’re unwanted competition, while girls get in for their bodies.

In order to challenge rape culture and sexism on campus, the ratio must cease to exist.

UPenn: Penn