President Schill releases statement after Charlottesville attacks

‘All of us must stand against this scourge of ignorance and intolerance’

UO President Michael Schill has releasted a statement regarding this weekend's white supremacist attacks in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In his address to the community, Schill emphasized that UO remains an a place where academic excellence is combined with inclusivity.

"The tragedy in Charlottesville is a reminder of the critical importance of the work we are currently undertaking at the UO to build a truly inclusive community of academic excellence," Schill said in his statement.

President Schill's message was sent Monday morning

President Schill also aims to provide an inclusive learning environment and are excepting of everyone regardless of on campus. Starting in September, the university will continue this mission.

"When students and faculty members return to campus in late September, we will continue, with renewed vigor and commitment, our efforts to make this university more respectful, more inclusive, and more welcoming to people of all races and ethnicities; all nationalities and religions; all sexual orientations and gender identities; and all abilities," Schill said.

Featured image courtsey of opb.org

University of Oregon