A mentor remembered: UO journalism remembers Alex Tizon

‘He taught me that it was okay to write about what mattered to me and to write the hell out of the most mundane story’

The University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication (SOJC) held a memorial service Tuesday in remembrance of professor Alex Tizon, who died on March 23.

Students and faculty gathered in the Allen Hall atrium to share their memories as well as pay their respects to the Pulitzer Prize winning journalist.

For many, Tizon served as a mentor throughout their careers, and for journalism professor Lisa Heyamoto, a lifelong friend that she met when she was an intern at the Seattle Times.

‘He helped guide me at a time when I could not yet see my path. I knew where I wanted to go but I needed the courage to keep walking. He taught me that it was okay to write about what mattered to me and to write the hell out of the most mundane story,’ Heyamoto said.

‘His words served as a north star for me over the years.’

Students and faculty wrote memories of Alex on the whiteboards in Allen Hall

One of the things Tizon was known was his ability to change the way people understood storytelling.

‘He was a pioneer, a quiet pioneer who changed the lives of his subjects who were in the stories validated by him. He changed the lives of other writers through his work and by becoming a successful writer he opened paths for many people,’ said fellow award-winning professor Hector Tobar.

‘I will miss him, and I think his impact is felt in many different ways.’

Students also payed their respects in notes and posts as a thank you for helping them pursue their journalistic endeavors.

‘Thank you for being one of my role models. Thank you for pushing me to pursue my dreams. I’m so grateful that our lives crossed paths. Rest In Peace,’ said sophomore Taylor Kissenger in a post.

Recent graduates also credited Tizon with helping them succeed in their time in the journalism school.

‘Not only did his class teach me to be a better journalist, but it also taught me to be a better person,’ said recent UO Alum Kira Hoffelmeyer in a tribute.

One the people in attendance was Grace Leblanc, one of Tizon’s high school teachers who advised him during yearbook and newspaper classes. Even though it was years ago that she had him, she will always remember the way he touched hers and other student’s lives.

‘He was just a student I never could forget,’ said LeBlanc.

‘I only knew him for a short amount of time but I can tell he touched many lives.’

LeBlanc also brought photos from Tizon’s high school days

Another notable quality was Tizon’s courage when writing. From telling stories about personal identity to family, he was always willing to go above and beyond despite recognizing not all people will agree with what he wrote.

‘It takes a tremendous amount of courage to do what he did, to put himself out there. You have to live with the fact that much of your work is never going to see the light of day,’ said journalism instructor Tom Wheeler.

Wheeler also shared Tizon’s reasons for storytelling which he passed down his students and those around him.

‘Why do we need stories? Stories give shape to experience and allow us to go through life un-blind. Without them the stuff that happens around us would float around us in some glob and not mean anything. Once you have a version of what happened all the other good stuff about being human can come into play.’

Instructor Tom Wheeler was one of the professors that shared his memories of Tizon

The tributes were all heart felt and no matter if people had him or not, he still inspired them to become better writers.

‘I think it’s such a beautiful thing to evolve alongside your mentor and the coolest thing is that I got to see him instill in many of you what he instilled in me,’ Heyamoto said.

University of Oregon