From the other side: we asked Oregon students about voting third party

‘I don’t think they’re better than the two primary candidates we have’

In this presidential election there’s been a lot of discussion around voting third party as opposed to Republican or Democrat. Dissatisfaction with either Clinton or Trump as presidential candidates has people considering voting third party, instead of picking between the “lesser of two evils.”

As the presidential election draws closer students are considering the impact of their vote in this crucial election year.

We asked students why they think their peers should or should not vote third party:

Jesse, Junior, Business

“I think it is beyond shameful when people take the choice to not vote, so I feel like it is much better to vote and use your ability to do that for a third party candidate versus not voting for one of the two.

“Because it is those two main parties it is important if you are leaning one way or the other, your vote is definitely counted more if it is Democrat or Republican because it is going to be one or the other. I do think people should take the option of voting for a third party candidate if they do align with their views over not voting because we have the right and are able to.”

Kelsey, Senior, Environmental Studies

“I understand the intentions behind voting for a third party because it makes a pretty strong statement if people aren’t willing to agree with either of the candidates and it is a way of standing up for your beliefs in values if one of the candidates doesn’t represent what you believe in.

“I also agree that it doesn’t necessarily benefit us, given the situation, if they don’t choose one side or the other because then those with a strong opinion for either of those will win with their votes.”

Caitlyn, Senior, Planning, Public Policy and Management

“I think people should not be voting for a third party because I feel like it won’t really do much with the amount of voters on Trump or Hillary’s part and I feel like it would make a bigger difference if you could just stick with either the Republican or Democratic party.”

Jake O’Mally, Senior, Political Science

“I think voting for a third party can make a point for someone but it tends to digress from, what we know are going to be, the two top parties who will win. It’s good and bad but mostly it’s not great.”

Amanda Colestock, Freshman, Marine Biology

“When you vote for a third party member your vote will split up the party, then the person who could actually win will has less of a chance against the other nominee.”

Rayna Zohar, Second year Junior, Political Science

“While the idea of voting third party is appealing at a local level, in a big election like the presidential it is a vote wasted in most cases.

“With the electoral college and mass support for the two major parties, it is nearly impossible to have a third party candidate to even receive one vote, let alone enough to win. In my opinion it is a waste of your voice to vote third party.”

Julia Yost, Environmental Studies

“I don’t think people should vote for third party candidates, I don’t think they’re better than the two primary candidates that we have. I also think that it can be a waste of your vote because I don’t think there is any possibility of any of the third party candidates being elected.”

Shawn, Sophomore, Business

“I think students probably shouldn’t vote third party because it doesn’t do much toward the election, however if they align with your views it is important to stick to your views and make a stance to vote for who you believe rather than voting for someone just because you want the election to go Democrat or Republican. I think it is important to vote third party if it aligns with your belief because it is important to stick to what you believe in.”

Deciding to or not to vote as a third party brings a new perspective to the voting process; let your voice be heard!

University of Oregon