There’s rally against police brutality expected to break out in Eugene

Police are accused of a ‘siege mentality’

Eugene’s residents are staging a protest this evening before the city council meeting in efforts to end police brutality.

According to the Register Guard, the rally is scheduled to start at 6:30pm in Wayne Morse Free Speech Plaza just before the city council meeting.

People are gathering following Friday’s arrest of Jeffrey D. Walton, which was made public by at least two videos, and are now engaging in conversation around town. The Guard stated, “city officials who have praised the officers’ restraint and other residents who accuse the officers of using excessive force.”

It was also reported that videos showed bystanders looking confused as to why he was detained, and that the crowed started chanting “police brutality” when the officer threw the first punch at Watson.

Jail records, however, show that Walton had been arrested previously.

Police blocked off the Park Blocks area Friday afternoon following the shooting

The planning began when Eugene resident Lee DeVeau wrote an email to the City Council addressing concerns regarding levels of police brutality.

DeVeau wrote: “Given this siege mentality, it is no wonder that a minor police encounter on the Park Blocks would escalate to a major confrontation between an outraged public and pumped up police officers carrying out their mission of cleaning up downtown.”

Lieutenant Doug Mozan of the Eugene police department revealed that “Walton was hanging on to the front bumper of the police car with “enough strength and ferocity” that officers weren’t able to wrest his arm away and had to gradually escalate their use of force so he could be taken into custody.”

It’s safe to say the arrest has caused plenty of discussion, and no matter what it will be a heated meeting.

University of Oregon