Drinking water finally restored to normal after lead scare

Its been an ongoing issue since early September

UO has finally cleared students for water usage in Bean, Barnhart, Hamilton, and Walton Halls.

According to an email sent by the university: “All restroom fixtures in these halls are now at or below acceptable EPA levels, so you may now use the water from these fixtures for drinking, teeth brushing and cooking.”

In early September, the EPA found lead in water from faucets in these halls, and instead supplied water bottles so students could brush their teeth and wash dishes.

A few weeks later, repairs finally commenced and the university sent out an email saying most fixtures were being tested and were fine.

Water fountains were also affected, and while some are repaired, some are underway.

The email said:

“Most drinking fountains are back online and have a green sticker stating when the water was last tested and that the water fixture meets EPA recommendations for consumption.”

Despite the issue with the faucets, the showers were not tested. According to the university: “Shower fixtures are not part of the drinking water monitoring program, and have not been tested.”

Students should also bare in mind that the sinks in laundry rooms and facility closets should not be consumed or used for cooking.

University of Oregon