UO fraternity cited after ‘unruly’ move-in party

Party-goers were caught urinating in driveways

Move-in week for students became unruly Thursday night when students from the Beta Theta Pi fraternity were cited by the UO police for excessive partying into Friday morning.

Police arrived to blaring music and neon lights flashing in the residence halls, and people exiting the building with plastic cups.

Called an “unruly gathering”, neighbors called the police to report that invitees were urinating on their cars, lawns, and porches.

When the police arrived to break up the ruckus shortly after midnight, they talked to neighbors who said: “Partiers were urinating on their porches, cars and driveways.”

The house was confronted by police early Friday morning

The party hosts, who The Tab Oregon has decided not to name, were cited for prohibited noise, and for hosting an unruly gathering – fines usually amount to $375.

A former Beta Theta Pi brother was the first to be seen by police outside the house, holding a beer bong outside on the lawn.

According to the department, he tried to run when the cops first came in sight but ended up tripping on gravel just before being cited for “a minor in possession, urinating in public and interfering with police.”

Law enforcement stayed through the night, and police confirmed they “stopped and cited many people walking near the UO campus carrying open alcohol containers, which is illegal regardless of age.”

Following the event, it has been reported that officers and medics have been on call for reported cases of alcohol poisoning near the campus area.

This comes after Beta Theta Pi were disbanded in March for “high risk behavior” and reports of hazing.

University of Oregon