An honest packing list for freshman year Oregon University

Don’t forget bread for the real-life duck couple on the quad

You’re headed to the state of Oregon to attend the University of Oregon. Everyone it reminding you to bring all the basics: stuff for your dorm room, shower shoes and a Keurig.

But, here’s what you will really need in the city of Eugene.

Food for the duck couple

If you are ever in the campus quad you are for sure to spot the “duck couple”. This refers to two ducks that basically live on campus – almost every student has had an interaction with.

Make sure to toss them some of your sandwich because we Oregon Ducks love having real ducks on our campus.

Pack all your Nikes – the make up 90% of the shoe population at UO

We have Uncle Phil to thank for Nike.

UO Track athlete Phil Knight founded this brand of shoe and almost everybody here owns a pair or more of Nikes and struts them around campus. You will probably even spot some students wearing the famous green and yellow Oregon Duck Nikes.

The most important thing you’ll need is an umbrella or a nice rain coat for those rainy days

Eugene is known for its constant rain during the winter. Walking across campus will be miserable unless you can cover yourself up in the rain.

Rain boots are also needed, maybe a cute pair with the Oregon Duck “O” symbol all around it.

The best costumes for Hallo-Weekend

The students at UO love to celebrate Halloween so much we dedicated a whole weekend to it. Expect to go out Thursday through Saturday night dressed up in costumes.

You will see some awesome ones including belly dancers, bear costumes, celebrities and half-naked bunnies. It’s a whole weekend dedicated to dressing up and letting loose!

A camera to record all the protests that happen on campus

Every year there is something new to protest about. There have (rightly) been protests on LGBTQ rights, sexual assault speak outs and rallies, black lives matter protests, GTF’s on strike to fight for fair labor rights, and more.

It’s rare to walk home from class and not see groups of people standing outside the EMU amphitheater and shouting slogans.

A swimsuit for those warm spring days chilling at apartment pools

On the rare occasion that it is warm and sunny outside, we UO students love to head to the pools around town for a day of swimming and hanging out. You can head to many different apartment complexes where people spend their whole days floating on tubes in the water.

Hiking boots are a necessity if you plan on hiking up Spencer’s Butte

University of Oregon students are constantly looking for new places to explore. Oregonians love their hiking trails up to breath-taking views. You will most likely take a quick trip up to Spencer’s to get a good shot of the beautiful view at the top.

Spencer’s isn’t the only good hiking trail. You can travel around the outskirts of the city and find awesome scenic places. Hiking is a popular activity for people in Eugene.

Oregon gear for all the football games

The UO is famously known for football. Our tailgates are packed full of Duck fans and our student section is the best. We have had the best players and the ultimate support system.

Everybody will be at Autzen Stadium on Saturdays during fall term. Make sure you pack enough Duck gear for any type of weather and get ready to stand up for four hours, scream the fight song every time we get a touchdown, and sing “Shout” with everybody after 3rd quarter.

Bring a jacket for the guy that rides around in his underwear.

He rides his bike around campus and blows a duck horn shouting things you won’t be able to understand. Offer him a jacket.

Get all your hoots and hollers ready for the LED bike riders

There are a group of men who ride around Eugene at night time in their LED lit-up bikes. They love to get a little attention and cheers. Make sure you talk to them at least once during your college career.

Don’t forget to pack some clothes that can get a little messy for concerts

The music community is huge in Eugene. Everything from rap, rock, EDM and country artists come to town. Whether you like to put on those flannels and cowboy boots to hit up Jason Aldean or you are more of a tutu and crop-top wearing EDM fan for shows like Life in Color, you are going to be satisfied.

All your crafting supplies for your big / little if you join Greek life

If you plan on joining Greek Life, be sure to bring all the crafting supplies you can think of. Members of the Greek community love making things for their littles and bigs. You are bound to receive a paddle from your little, Greek letters from your big and many posters for your Sorority-girl photo ops.

The University of Oregon is a college where you will need warmer clothes for the unpredictable weather, green and yellow clothes to fit in and a camera to snapshot all the new activities you’re about to experience.

Get ready for screaming Duck fans, laser beams at concerts and poolside lounging.

University of Oregon