Holi Good Time: Oregon celebrates color festival

Students gathered for a celebration of the colors before finals week

Students got a stress reliever leading into finals on Friday evening that included a splash of color. Holi, an Indian celebration of the colors, gave students and public a chance to celebrate the cultures’ rich history while having some interactive fun.

The event was put on by the Students of the Indian Subcontinent (SIS) who handed out packets of colored starch to attendees who came dressed in white and ready to celebrate spring.

“It’s a festival that’s held in India to bring in spring and everyone comes out and enjoys themselves,” said senior Mani Woodward.

Senior Mani Woodward (left) helped organize the event through SIS which celebrates Indian heritage

The event began at 6:00 behind the Knight library and a tent filled with volunteers handing out colored powder that was to be thrown up in unison while standing in a circle. People then sprinted around while throwing handfuls of colored powder at each other, smothering each others’ white clothes while listening to traditional Indian music in the background.

Volunteers handed out packets of colored starch to participants

The colorful event draws a large crowd, and it isn’t uncommon for students to return year after year.

“I enjoy the vibrant colors of it, the feeling that it’s one big party that over in five minutes so it’s a fun thing but it’s also quick,” said sophomore Michelle Gonzalez.

From left to right: sophomore Justin Jonas, sophomore Brandy Graham, junior Jilian Carlo, junior Charo Stapley, and sophomore Michelle Gonzalez all return for their second year celebrating the vibrant colors

For some, this is a chance to celebrate their heritage and celebrate the way they would at home.

“I celebrated Holi when I was little, said freshman Sravya Tade. This [event] is pretty tame, everyone  has their colors but where I grew up it doesn’t matter if you know the person or not you just smother them with colors and they’ll take big buckets of water and just dump it on people.”

The event originated from a religious story about an evil dictator and the importance of praying to God.

“It’s really about how good triumphs over evil,” Tade added.

Color galore: students return to this event year after year

However, while it is recognized as a fun get together Gonzalez also talked about how the authenticity of the heritage can become a question.

“It’s just a matter of whether or not it’s the best example of [bridging different cultures]. There’s Indian music going on and it’s and Indian festival but there’s not much emphasis on what it is about,” Gonzalez added.

Sophomore Noora Mvard was one of the many people that were drenched in colored powder during the event

The event is put on by the Students of the Indian Subcontinent (SIS), a group that aims to enhance cultural awareness.

“We represent India, Pakistan, Nepal, and Sri Lanka and to show people what our culture is about,” Woodward said.

The group also aims to help give experiences to those who may not have had them while growing up.

“I’m adopted, so it lets people like me experience some of the culture that I never had,” Woodward added.

The event concluded with big smiles from students who were drenched in colored and colored grass, signalling the start to a wonderful season.

University of Oregon