Everything that happened at Undie Run 2016

Me and my fellow students took our clothes off for charity

Last Thursday at 6pm, attendees of the Emerald’s annual Undie Run stripped down and took off their clothes for a good cause.

The Undie Run took place on the University of Oregon campus starting at the Erb Memorial Union, circling around campus, and ending back at the EMU full circle. This mile and a half run was finished off with a concert sponsored by Red Bull where local businesses and sponsors of the Undie Run passed out free swag to participants while they enjoyed free refreshments.

Some of the business that were represented included Ducks Village, The Duck Store, 2125 Franklin, High Priestess, and more. People lined up at these booths in the opening hour and spun wheels to get lanyards, and labeled plastic cups. Also present were carnival style games such as human sized tic tac toe, a dunk tank, and corn hole. Dead center of the event was an array of refreshments to be enjoyed post-run. Also walking around were Redbull sponsors passing out free cans of the popular energy drink.

The best part about this fun event is that it was for a good cause! As participants were preparing to begin the race, they removed their clothes and tossed them in bins to be donated to St. Vincent De Paul.

St. Vincent’s is the largest non-profit human services organization in Lane County, serving 84,000 people every year. Formed into a legal corporation in 1955, St. Vincent de Paul helps the homeless with emergency services and affordable housing. A quote from their website tells us they are “committed to providing comprehensive programs to alleviate poverty and help all individuals find a path out of poverty and into self-sufficiency.”

St. Vincent de Paul is all about helping those that are less fortunate.

As it says in its mission statement, “We assist the poor and those in need of consolation, seeking out and utilizing every resource. Being mindful of the sanctity and dignity of all, we know that any charitable work that advances those goals is within the mission of St. Vincent de Paul.”

The organization has six core ways to achieve its mission: affordable housing, emergency services, homeless services, recycling programs, retail thrift stores, and self-sufficiency services. All these resources help St. Vincent to build housing units, provide food, generate revenue for the programs, and with job training and placement.

“It was my first undie run, I enjoyed that actually running part the most because it was very silly, if more people were involved, maybe if it were advertised more, I think it could have been better. I would definitely consider doing it again!” said freshman Sage Dale.

Overall the run seemed to be a success for the second year in a row, gathering donations for the St. Vincent foundation and giving students a break from preparing for finals and a chance to boost some endorphins for a good cause.

University of Oregon