Have you heard about the Gospel Choir at the University of Oregon?

Few people know about the award-winning gospel choir

At the University of Oregon there are a number of great music programs, and among these are the little known gospel choirs.

The way gospel music is taught is unconventional to say the least, especially in the world of music. Instead of reading from scores or sheet music, all of the music is learned by ear through the rote system – that is, by listening and repeating one’s vocal part. Yet this unique way of learning stays true to the roots of gospel music.

The fearless instructor of UO Gospel Choirs: Andiel Brown.

Andiel Brown, the current director of gospel choirs, has been a key factor in the success of the gospel choirs at U of O. Ever since taking on the position in the Fall of 2008, he has helped the top gospel choir group, Gospel Singers, to attend and win their first ever competition in 2010 at the Disney Gospel Choir Fest in Orland, Florida.

After being surprised by their success in their first competition they went a second time in 2011 to become back-to-back winners. The Gospel Singers have also made world history through the first ever public tour of the People’s Republic of China.

Andiel dreams big and currently his vision is set on taking the Gospel Singers to a public tour of Cuba in the spring of 2017. When I asked Andiel about why Gospel Singers will be headed to Cuba he had a lot to say.

He said:”Cuba has been introduced to jazz, hip-hop and rock and roll, yet many of them don’t know about gospel music, the fore-runner to all of those genres of music.”

He wants gospel music to be represented as authentically as possible and in its truest essence, which is why the oral tradition of gospel music has stayed in U of O gospel choirs. The authenticity of how gospel music is learned and performed will allow for the music to speak for itself.

As he said: “[Keep] the music intact and [sing] it well and [let] the lyric speak for themselves. We will present this history, culture and art form and let the intrinsic spiritual nature of it permeate the atmosphere. ”

Second, Andiel hopes it will be a great way to improve international relations through an exchange of art.

“We are no diplomats, but what better way to do that than to exchange art,” Andiel stated. The wonderful thing about music and art is that it crosses language barriers and promotes this cultural exchange. Andiel truly believes in the power of music and its ability to affect people in a positive way.

Finally, he hopes that it will be a great academic experience for every student and singer involved.

As he said, “It will be a great way for students to experience new culture.”

So why should you get involved in the gospel choirs at U of O?

Gospel music is the first music to originate in the United States. It precedes the other musical genres and has played a major part in shaping the culture of music within the US. Some of the best singers have come from a gospel music backgrounds such as Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles.

Connecting with gospel music helps someone understand the roots of music in American culture. For musicians it is even more important to know gospel music, especially for professional endeavors. The musicians getting the big jobs and the most work are often well versed in jazz and gospel music. The ability to play gospel music and know the feel, subtle nuances and the groove of it will help any performer be better prepared in their performance. For any singer it helps them learn style, technique and how to build their own voice and strengthen that voice. And if nothing else convinces you: gospel choir is fun!

As a current member, I love coming to rehearsal twice a week and being able to create music alongside other talented singers. You will also be able to experience Andiel’s masterful dancing and insane vocal range.
Gospel choir is both a place to experience create great music and be able to feel the power of music while you sing.
If you want a chance to hear the Gospel Choirs perform, the end of the year concert is on June 5th at 5:00 pm in Beall Concert Hall.
University of Oregon