EXCLUSIVE: We spoke to ‘The Dangerous Faggot’ Milo Yiannopoulos

‘I’ve never been offended by anything’

British journalist Milo Yiannopoulos addressed University of Oregon students and Eugene’s public on May 10 as part of his ‘Dangerous Faggot’ tour. From his comments on feminism to Donald Trump, it’s abundantly clear that the Greek native has no fear of speaking his mind – especially when it comes to involving students in his talks.

Milo said: “I’ve never been offended by anything.”

“I also wasn’t born with the offense gene, I don’t know what that emotion is. To my mind when somebody says ‘I’m offended’ I think it’s kind of some sleazy debate tactic in place of reason, facts, argument and logic to enable them to change the subject”.

Yiannopoulos shows a dynamic expression while interacting with Zack Geyer in Eugene on May 10

It was no secret that the journalist is not easily rattled, particularly not when audience members stand up and point out why they think his beliefs are wrong. Eugene Resident Zack Geyer he stood up and pointed out that Milo’s points ‘contain a lot of hypocrisy’.

“For example you identify as a gay male and it seems you lack a lot of empathy for the challenges of other LGBTQ community members.  It’s a community that has struggled. My point is you seem to tear these small groups with broad brush strokes and really pick out their weaknesses. I just feel yourself that maybe you should have a sense of empathy.”

It was then that Milo invited him down to sit down on stage with him and have a chat of their own.  His response?

“Fuck your feelings.”

Despite what many interpret as snarky comments, his goal is to encourage students to stand up and express their beliefs. His strategy allows for students to – he sets up a system in which it allows them to do so.

“I’m disrespectful on purpose. I might use supposedly offensive terms of phrase to make a point about political correctness but in doing that from a place of integrity and seriousness to comment on the narrowing window – the things you can’t say these days with the hypocrisy and the progressive left.”

“I think that’s different than those who show up to yell and who don’t want to have a conversation, and instead just want to shut you up,” Milo explained.

His greater goal when speaking to the public encourages listeners to go out of their comfort zone in order to expand their knowledge of the world around them. In other words, if people play it safe all the time, their values are not being challenged.

“I think in many cases students in American universities are graduating with a set of beliefs that are not based on fact. They’re inheriting a set of prejudices about race, gender that are not based on reason but on feelings and I would like us to reconsider that,” he said.

Even though many students perceive him as trying to evoke a negative reaction from the crowd, his intention is to try and start a conversation.

“If I want to provoke a reaction it’s just to start a conversation on campus before I arrive and after I’ve left.  That could be  about some of the things in the talk and about the purpose of education generally. It seems to be that American campuses are modeling themselves on  camps where people go to feel at home and safe.”

Milo interacts with students after his talk on May 10

Even though he comes across as provocative, Milo hopes to inspire students to expand their knowledge while attending college, to challenge their beliefs and expand their ideas of what the world could look like.

“You go to university precisely to feel uncomfortable. If at the end of my talks they [students] at least consider this might be the point of a university education, then I consider it a success.”

University of Oregon