What really happened at last night’s Trump Rally in Eugene

‘O-R-E-G-O-N! How do you jump on the Trump Train?’

Donald Trump has been a political sensation since his announcement with his intention to run in the upcoming presidential election last June. Despite his controversial views his supporters continue to stand loyally behind him, and his May 6 rally in Eugene was no different, when approximately 5,000 people gathered at the Lane Events Center.

One thing that was prominent in Trump’s speech was not only his message to “Make America Great Again” but to emphasize that “the only important thing is the unification of the people.” With that, he recognized his supporters in doing such.

“I like people who want to win,” Trump said.

The Republican candidate was greeted by a flamboyant crowd, many of which had been waiting since mid-afternoon waiting for Trump to address the crowd after his recent victory in Indiana. It was clear that his supporters had one mission: to endorse that he is the future of America.

“He seems like he can’t be bought. It’s kinda hard to hear a billionaire say ‘hey, I’m here for the little people’, but it’s better than Hillary,” said Oregon resident Robert Cushman.

Robert Cushman shows his support for Trump during the May 6 rally in Eugene

It was made clear that one of the reasons that people support Trump is that he is not a politician.

“He’s not a politician. Politicians have gotten this country into a hell of a shape right now and I don’t want to see anymore of it,” said Eugene resident Frank Brown.

Eugene resident Frank Brown believes Trump is ticket to solving the country’s woes

After many issues from immigration to food stamps, people such as Brown think that this is the time for people to become more educated about what is actually important.

“I’ve been around on this planet for 66 years now and what they’re teaching kids in college today has little to do with true history. Nobody seems to understand that when you run out of other people’s money, the whole thing comes crashing down,” Brown added.

While the rally was made up of  a pro-Trump attitude, some people were there to get a better sense of who Trump is as a person rather than going off the negative media coverage.

“I’m here because I feel that the only information that I have is from the media. I wanted to come here and get my own opinions”, said Miss Douglas County Outstanding Teen Shenna McLaughlin.

“There’s a lot of people that have a lot of money in media and they can influence it however they want and I wanted to come and see him firsthand and see if what the media says is true”.

Miss Douglas County Outstanding Teen Shenna McLaughlin came to learn more about Trump

However, she recognizes that his policies are not shared by everyone.

“I think Trump is a very controversial candidate. I think that there are some things that if he does people will hate but I think there are so many people in support of what he does because he’s different than other candidates,” McLaughlin added.

This election has also made some people fearful for the country’s future.

“I’ve been alive 54 years, and this is the first presidential election I’m actually fearful of,” said an anonymous taxi driver.

Despite some differing opinions, there was an overwhelming feeling at the end of the rally that people are confident that Trump is qualified enough to lead America in the coming years.

“We’ve got some issues in this country and I think Donald Trump is the one that’s going to help square them away,” said Brown.

University of Oregon