What it’s like to live on a legalized campus for 4/20

Attending college in weed-friendly Eugene, Oregon certainly has perks

Whether you’re pro-marijuana or against it, 4/20 certainly brings the weed culture of any town or college to the foreground. States that have legalized the recreational use of cannabinoid substances such as Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and Alaska have especially prevalent weed cultures on a day associated with smoking that “dank” kush, eating munchies, and generally having a good time.

The University of Oregon, in recent years, has made great leaps and bounds in developing its name in the world of sports, as well as the academy. During a game day, you can observe students with six packs of beer walking to a tailgate or a fraternity – as is typical at almost any large university in the US.

But on 4/20, the vibe on campus changes drastically. You can observe groups of young people picnicking at local parks passing around bongs and joints in broad daylight. Red-eyed individuals cruise on longboards and bikes taking the long way from one place to another. There are extended lines forming around the dispensaries on the periphery of campus.

Living in Eugene, you get used to getting a whiff of weed when you’re walking to class or on your way to downtown, but nothing could compare to Eugene between the hours of 4pm to 6pm on 4/20. Coincidentally, after experiencing a rare sunny day, the sky began to display a hazy layer of clouds and, depending on where you were walking, you would get hit with an intense odor of weed (which would make anyone giggle at the absurdity of the situation).

Though weed is a casual part of campus culture year-round, Eugene’s marijuana culture in Millennials and college students became especially prevalent on 4/20. This begs the question: what can universities begin to expect once their states legalize the recreational use of marijuana?

From the perspective of someone who’s experienced this first-hand, I can say confidently that weed culture serves to benefit a community rather than harm it. Eugene is a pleasant place to live and go to school whether it’s 4/20 or not.

Sure, 4/20 is a time to kick back and enjoy smoke sessions with your friends, or if you don’t smoke weed, enjoy the plethora of stoner antics that occur around your university. The important thing to realize is that 4/20 is a day that will undoubtedly change the environment of your campus, but not in a negative way. So if marijuana is legalized in your state by next 4/20, sit back and enjoy the chill vibes in whatever way you so choose.

University of Oregon