Three women share their thoughts on the Women’s March on Washington

Mighty girl power is our future

This past Saturday, millions gathered worldwide in opposition of Donald Trump and promotion of women’s rights. The biggest gathering was in Washington, D.C. where an estimated 500,000 participants came together to march through the streets. I asked my mom and a couple of her friends (all from the D.C. area) about why they marched and much more. You never know. Your grandchildren may end up reading about it in their grade-school history book.

Why did you march and what was it like?

Annette Bethesda, MD): I marched for my global sisters, particularly the women and girls I know personally in Democratic Republic of the Congo and in Kenya. International development work benefiting them also benefits the US and accounts for only about .07% of our total budget. An unhinging of this work seems likely in the new administration.

Betsy (Silver Spring, MD): I marched because I’m afraid for our democracy and wanted to be among others (lots of others) who share my concern.

Jane (Arlington, VA): The scene was overwhelming. The people were calm, polite, interactive. I marched because  I am a woman whose rights will be infringed, including my rights as a gay woman.

Do you think this march will affect Trump’s mindset on women’s rights?

Annette: How can you ignore the voices of millions of women around the country and around the world?

Betsy: I have no idea, but I hope that the march energized others to make sure that he can’t enact policies that hurt women without a big fight.

Jane: Not at all.

You’ve lived through several presidents and political conflicts. How does this compare with what you’ve seen in the past?

Annette: Inconceivable earlier, we are now faced with the dystopian future portrayed in Back to the Future 2. The character of Biff was actually based on Donald Trump.

Betsy: This feels bigger. Though I really wish the outcome of the election had been different, it was a wake up call.

Jane: Nixon comes to mind. There is a darkness, an unwillingness to work WITH the American people, or for that matter, other nations. We are now withdrawing from the world community and becoming an isolated island.

This march was shown to have more people than the inauguration. What does that say about the division in America? And is the divide that exists today something that can be healthy in a democracy?

Annette: The divide consists of power-hungry, conservative males and an ignorant populace that has fallen prey to Trump’s “alternative facts.” The Constitution is imperiled and so is true democracy.

Betsy: I think there’s an important balance between healthy dialogue and divisive rhetoric. When people aren’t listening, you have to find a way to be heard. Sometimes it takes being a nasty woman…

Jane: It says that the people who marched spoke out too late. The March should have happened in October, prior to the election in order to motivate the people who needed a push. Different opinions do motivate democracy, but, are we now in a post-democratic nation? I think we are seeing democracy slide down a slippery slope.

Some people, men and women, have a genuine fear of a country under Trump’s administration. Do you think the fact of so many people marching worldwide, has quelled that fear?

Annette: No, but it has propelled us to action.

Betsy: I don’t know yet. It certainly showed that people are not willing to let extremism go unnoticed and unanswered.

Jane: It has only demonstrated and highlighted the fear. It was good to come together, as fair minded women and men, but unless the March is translated into action, say for the 2018 election, it will only have been a nice afternoon.

Other people say rooting for Trump to fail is like wanting your pilot to crash the plane. What do you say to that idea?

Annette: I don’t buy the idea. My belief is that the sooner the republican majority realizes we’re on a collision course, the sooner impeachment proceedings can begin.

Betsy: I think we have a stronger democracy than that…at least right now.

Jane: Bunk. It’s like wishing for snow when you haven’t done your homework. Doesn’t work.

What experiences have you had where your rights as a woman have been hindered?

Betsy: When I was growing up the world had very specific expectations for me that I have spent much of my adult life growing out of.

Jane: I am a gay women. Until 2 years ago, my rights were hindered daily. Until 1973, had I needed to, I couldn’t get a legal abortion. I couldn’t get a credit card in the ‘60s without my father’s co-signature.

Looking forward, how would you like to see women’s rights changed?

Annette: We had a lot of work to do to advance women before. Now we must work to keep from going back in time with even fewer and alienated rights.

Betsy: I am particularly concerned about the rights of women who don’t have the privilege that I do as a white woman.

Jane: Until women are paid 100 cents on the dollar, until we stop seeing political candidates in terms of gender instead of their resumes, we won’t get changed. We must get equal pay for equal work. We must not allow others to legislate our rights to our own bodies.

What is one unique thing you saw on your march that you won’t forget?

Annette: A young girl dressed as the Statue of Liberty on the shoulders of her father, holding up her torch defiantly and confidently. Mighty girl power is our future.

Jane: People helping others in an unfailingly polite and friendly way. Strangers talking with strangers as friends. People giving up seats on the subway to others. Calm lines. No pushing or shoving. That day, no one was a stranger.

The march was overwhelming in numbers but peaceful in action. No arrests were made during the march and many peoples voices were heard. It was a day to remember, and who knows? Maybe one day you’ll be reading about it in a history book.

Ohio State