Songs to get you through finals week

Admit it: we’re going to need all the help we can get

December brings us many wonderful things: holiday cheer, highly anticipated movies like Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt and La La Land with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, and Netflix additions like the next season of Fuller House. But, unfortunately for college students, December also brings the dreaded week that must of been conceived in Hell: finals week. Honestly, we’re going to need all the help we can get, so here are some songs to help you make it through the week with a minimal amount of breakdowns and for every mood you’ll feel before, during and after finals.

When you’re studying and lyrics are a distraction

I happen to be one of those people who can only study with music in the background. When I tell my friends this, they say, “I could never do that; the lyrics are way too distracting.” This shouldn’t discourage anyone from studying with music playing – just try some instrumental tracks! My personal favorite is listening to orchestral pieces, like Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake. If you’re looking for something that’s a bit more “rocking” but still without lyrics, try “Helix” by Break of Reality or “Roundtable Rival” by Lindsey Stirling. If you’re more of an atmospheric acoustic type of person, try “Storms in Africa” by Enya.

When you’re falling asleep but you have to keep studying and you’ve already reached your caffeine limit for the day

Finals week often entails many late night cramming sessions which can quickly turn into you really not cramming anything at all and just fighting to keep your eyes open. For these moments, you need a little boost, but not caffeine because otherwise you’ll be awake for God knows how long and then you’ll end up crashing during the exam. Try 80s power tunes – my personal favorite is “Holding Out for a Hero” by Bonnie Tyler. There’s something about the synth and electronic drum beats that can get you really pumped up. If you don’t feel like being instantly transported back 30 years and prefer to go with something more modern, try “Work B**tch” by Britney Spears (there’s never a bad time for a little Britney). If you’re looking for something more in-between and you’re not into the pop music scene, check out “Force Ten” by Rush.

When it’s right before the final when you need to get in the zone

The moment of truth has come. You survived the studying and cramming and now it’s time to give that exam all you’ve got. Motivation at times like these is crucial, so listen to songs that are really going to get you knock the test out of the park. The electronic beat and resonant voice of Aurora in “Running With The Wolves” is sure to get your brain prepped. Listening to Lin Manuel-Miranda rap his heart out in “My Shot” from Hamilton will ensure that you are “not throwing away [your] shot” at acing this exam. For the ultimate confidence boost, there is no better song that Demi Lovato’s “Confident.”

When you come out of the final knowing you nailed it

One of the best feelings in the world is walking out of an exam knowing that you crushed it. Celebrate this feeling! For the walk back from the testing site to your room, why not walk on sunshine with Katrina and the Waves’ ultimate feel-good song, “Walking on Sunshine”? If you’re feeling good, then let everyone know by singing along to Michael Bublé’s rendition of “Feeling Good.” And hey, if you nailed that final, who knows what else you can do? You’re “Unstoppable,” and there’s no better person to celebrate that with than Sia.

When you come out of the final and you need to mourn your grade for that class

Unfortunately, you’re not always going to walk out of the final with that kind of confidence. Sometimes it’s the complete opposite. You’re ready to hold a funeral for your grade in that class because it died the minute you turned in that exam. Here are some songs to listen to with the tissue box sitting next to you while you write up that eulogy. Sia is both awesome for the good times and comforting for the bad times, and her song “Breathe Me” is perfect for when you want to curl up in a ball under a nice warm blanket. You also can’t go wrong with the classics like “Everybody Hurts” by R.E.M. or “Say Something” by A Great Big World and Christian Aguilera. If you just need some really sad piano music, “Despair” by Goratie is the perfect song for you.

When all your finals are over!!!

The only feeling better than walking out of an exam knowing you nailed it is walking out of your FINAL final. It’s over; now it’s time to really celebrate! Since you survived, there’s no better tune than “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor. To keep the feel good vibes going, follow it up with “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)” by Stevie Wonder and shake out those remnants of the autumn semester with “Shake it Out” by Florence + The Machine. And, there is no song more perfect to narrate your packing up the suitcase to head home from winter break than “On My Way Home” by Pentatonix.

Finals week can be stressful, but a little music can make all the difference. So blast some tunes no matter what mood you’re in, keep breathing, and try your hardest and you’ll be done with your exams before you know it.

Ohio State