Indie music for any mood

Some ideas for when the mainstream radio is not quite satisfying your current emotions

We all can agree that everyone’s a bit emotional right now.

It’s okay, you can admit it.

Whether it’s because of random drama this week, current politics, finals being around the corner, or the fact that you are craving cereal but are too lazy to get up and go to CVS to buy it.

So here’s a list of indie music that excellently captures whatever mood you’re feeling. Whether you’re ecstatic, melancholy, or in need of a quality hug and a puppy, there’s a song for you.

Voilà: the best indie music for the times when you are…

Feeling Sad

Evidently, there are countless moods than fall under the category, “sad.” You could be sad when you’re homesick, missing a friend, or because of the fact you had to fly home from Paris and leave its magical croissants. Here are a few songs for the not-so-smiley days.

Making All Things New by Aaron Espe is a must. This beautiful song is a gentle reminder that life can be sad but life continues on because that’s what life does.

Blue Skies by Noah and the Whale is high quality, and sings that the best is yet to come.

Mine by Spirits of the Red City is up there on my list of world’s best songs. It’s good for the days when you lie in bed while it’s storming outside making you low key emotional.

Feeling Exhausted

Here are some songs to make you think of the big picture and the fact that you’re in college to grow, not to stress about studying 24/7. All I ask of you is to listen to these songs and to take a nap. You deserve it.

Amsterdam by Gregory Alan Isakov should be listened to as you fall asleep. Isakov’s soulful tone with his touch of guitar and piano wonderfully compliments your sleepy self.

Down in the Valley by, my personal favorite, The Head and the Heart gives me the feels. Its folky undertones are a perfect touch of light on a gray day, especially when you’re so tired that you just want to leave campus so you can snuggle up on your couch with your dog.

The Girl by City and Colour will forever and always make me want cry. It’s one of those songs you just have to sit there and listen to without doing anything else.

Feeling Good

Here’s a candid picture for you… and I’m happy to hear you are feeling good. Whether this means you got a spark of confidence or the fact that you are 100 percent fine for some reason, these songs will keep that skip in your step.

Way Back When by Kodaline reminisces on the good ol’ times while adding a touch of tambourine to your day.

Excited Eyes by  The Notionaries is ideal for when you just so happen to feel fresh. You’re not quite sure what this day holds, but that excites you because today is a new day.

HAPPINESS, by NEEDTOBREATHE, is a song for my newly determined people. Go get ’em. You deserve to be happy, so go out in the world and make it happen.

Feeling the brink of a mental breakdown because of how bleak the future is looking

Listen to this song, watch the video, and remember that we are all human and are doing the best we can.

Be happy, folks. Life is marvelous. Listen to quality music and spend time with good people.

Ohio State