A letter to the teacher who inspired me to be a teacher

If I can inspire my students the way that you have inspired me, it will make all the hard work of getting a teacher certification worth it

Dear Tara (“Mama Miller”),

When I tell people I am an English Education major, one of the first questions I am asked is always, “Why do you want to be a teacher?”

Thanks to you, I can say, “I had a really amazing English teacher in high school and I want to change a student’s life the way she has changed mine.”

The second day of class you had us do a really cheesy icebreaker – the one where you say your name and one interesting fact about yourself – and when it got to me, I decided to use my trusty “abs of steel” back brace joke, which made you laugh. You then asked me some questions about it and when I went up to you after class to thank you for being so understanding, you just said, “You’re so positive about it; if you hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have known.”

That comment made my day. I had never seen a teacher care so much about a student she hardly knew before and I thought that was really cool. That second day definitely had me looking forward to the rest of the year.

In class, you created such a welcoming, open atmosphere where everyone’s voice mattered and our lessons weren’t just about English, but also about life. I loved that you emphasized the value of learning instead of the value of assessments/grades and I remember wishing that my schedule was just your class.

This was also because I was teased throughout my freshman year for loving English as much as I did. There wasn’t a day that went by without a remark, sneer, or laughter over my passion for reading and writing because my peers just didn’t understand. But your classroom was a safe space. Their words couldn’t touch me there because you not only understood this passion, but you also shared it and I will forever be grateful for the way your room allowed me to embrace what I loved to the fullest.

Our mutual love of literature and the empathy you always showed me are what initially brought us closer together. I started staying after class to discuss what we were reading with you, but the subject of our conversations quickly transitioned away from the fictional lives of characters and towards our own lives. You became the adult I confided in and, because our experiences turned out to be so similar, my number one source for advice and inspiration. If you could make it through the tough times, that meant that I could, too.

Even though my time as your student soon came to an end, the bond we established that year is far from over. Your wisdom and empathetic nature continue to guide and comfort me through my days as I turn to you, my “Mama,” with everything that goes on in my life. You’re the reason that I love English as much as I do and why I decided to major in English Education. You have had such a remarkable impact on my life and if I can inspire my students the way that you have inspired me, it will make all the hard work of getting a teacher certification worth it.

So, thank you for everything you have done for me, from being my English teacher to being my second mother, providing constant advice and support (especially when I need it most). My passion for English would never have flourished like it has if it weren’t for you. I hope I can make you proud in a classroom of my own one day.

With love and gratitude,

Rachel (“Mini-Miller”)

Ohio State