Fun things to do in Columbus this fall

You can’t claim to be bored this fall

There’s no shortage of fun activities to do in Columbus. So don’t sit around bottling up your anxiety about classes. Instead, go out, get some air, and enjoy all that Columbus has to offer this fall.

Go to the Ohio State homecoming parade

Watch awesome floats, see the homecoming court, and get hype about a fun game day. Sit down on High Street around 6 p.m. this Friday to see whose float is better, to get free stuff, and to snag some high fives from Brutus. Afterward, head to the Union to catch the homecoming pep rally and get in the mood for the Scarlet and Great theme. This is the best way to start the weekend and to get excited about beating Rutgers. Show your spirit and wear those jerseys!

Explore the Olentangy Trail

It’s finally cool enough that you won’t drown yourself in sweat, and you’ll get the added bonus of running through all the trees that are finally changing into fall colors. Running is a great way to reduce stress and increase endorphins. If running isn’t for you, go for a walk with a friend instead. What better way to forget about your midterms than that?

Grab some rocks at the Scioto Audubon

Tired of being inside? Give rock climbing a try! It is super easy to learn to  belay and lead climb at the OAC. After that, you can snag some rope and head to the Scioto Audubon Metro Park to climb in the cool, fall air. Nothing is better than watching the sun set over the skyline while reaching for the top of the wall.

Lynd Fruit Farm

We all know you want that classic apple picking picture for your Instagram. Lynd’s is a great place to don your flannel and boots for a quality afternoon of fall fun. It’s open September-October on the weekends from 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. Take your pick (wink-wink) of activities: apple picking, a giant corn maze, or a fresh market! You can drive home with a bag full of freshly picked apples and cider.

The Circleville Pumpkin Show

Ever seen a pumpkin larger than three people put together? If you haven’t, this is your chance — so don’t miss out on this experience. The Circleville Pumpkin Show is about all things pumpkin. Think pumpkin chili, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin burgers, and the largest pumpkin pie you could imagine. You’ll leave with a full belly and no regrets (and maybe some creepy pictures of pumpkins, too).

Catch Rocky Horror Picture Show at Studio 35

This independent movie theater in Clintonville is the perfect place to grab a brew and watch a movie. To really get in the Halloween mood, watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show. You’ll fall in love with the place and won’t want to go to a normal theater again.

Sling a hammock on the oval

People watching, resting between the changing leaves, and falling asleep to the chiming of the bells. What better way to relax and take in the fall air than by chilling in a hammock on the oval? Snag a spot near Hagerty Hall or on the East side of the Oval for the best trees and shade. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, test out your balance on a slack line that is bound to be outside, too. When the weather is prime, you’ll have plenty of fellow nature enthusiasts around.

Sure, you’ll want to watch what’s new on Netflix (I’m all about show binges), but why waste away the best season of the year? Explore Columbus because it has enough to keep you busy for the rest of the semester. Whether you want outdoor exercise or the classic fall photo, grab your friends, go outside, and take it all in.

Ohio State