Why the city of champions tops any other hometown out there

We’re the only ‘burgh’ spelled with the ‘h’

When people think of Pittsburgh, they probably think of the Steelers, the Pirates, or the Penguins. Right? Well, there’s more to us Pittsburghers than that. We can eat some of the best food around, make movie appearances, and talk in our very own language.

Pittsburgheese gives us quite a unique feel. There’s nothing like calling someone a jagoff as they cut you off on the highway, or getting yinz to gather around the yearly arts festival at The Point. If you don’t know the city, you should. If you’re from the city, then you’re proud of it. Here’s why we love being from the ‘Burgh.

You know the proper technique to stuff fries, slaw, and slabs of meat in your face

Primanti Bros. is a classic that prepares you for a career in professional eating contests. This is where you bring your college friends when you visit home—if only to show them up in the eating department.

Our foreign food game is on point

Everyday Noodles satisfies any hangry feelings with fresh, hand-twirled Asian noodles. The slamming of the hard dough on the kitchen tables really sets the mood and keeps you on edge. But if you’re looking for more dough, we have pierogis that melt in your mouth. How can you not salivate over potato and cheese drenched in butter and onions? Heading over to the old gas station for Pierogis Plus makes you feel like it’s your birthday.

Pamela’s P&G Diner

No one can escape the love for pancakes the size of your head. This diner has the old-time feel accompanied by the quality greasy food you crave. Even Obama loves their classic hotcakes.

We have great brews

Places like the Grist House get your taste buds going. Not only can you snag a great Friday night beer huddled amongst fellow microbrew enthusiasts, but you can also porch chill all year round (thanks outdoor heaters). Oh, and they don’t mind a little kick line (as long as they don’t see it).

You can shred anytime

Seven Springs or Hidden Valley make winter bearable. Whether you grab a cabin for the weekend or pop up to the mountain on a bluebird day, this is the best place to drop that bum winter mood. Nothing beats gliding into the main lodge to the sometimes questionable music choices of the Foggy Goggle DJs. Bonus: they have tons of mountain biking trails for the off-season.

You can pretend you’re Simba

Riding the Incline up Mount Washington was scary when you were little, but you probably ended up taking your Prom pictures on the observation decks anyway. The best moment up there is, at night, when you can see all the lights and you think to yourself “everything the light touches is our kingdom.” Thanks Mufasa.

South Side life

With the American Eagle Headquarters right there, it’s obvious that the South Side is a place to shop and eat (hello Hofbrauhaus). Just like you in college classes, it’s calm in the day, but the place to be at night. Friends and the Uber app are a necessity.

“We are the Champions”

Bleeding black and gold is not an option in this town, and no one can blame us because our three pro sports teams are pretty great. There isn’t really an off season for us. We can watch the Pirates, the Steelers, and the Penguins take down the competition (maybe not so much the Pirates, but we stick with them).

Wiz Khalifa even knows we’re great

His song “Black and Yellow”? You have a love/hate relationship with that song because it was way too overplayed, but it secretly feels good to have a hometown anthem.

We make cameos in Blockbuster movies

We all watched The Dark Knight Rises, all secretly hoping our feet would end up in a shot of the high speed chase downtown. Or maybe we were just hoping for a close-up after hours of waiting to be an extra at Heinz Field. Either way, Pittsburgh makes its way into movies more often than you think. It’s because we’re cool, and Hollywood knows it.

So, despite being a must-get-out-of-town kind of woman, I still say Pittsburgh is the best place to call my hometown.

Ohio State