The perks of going to college with your brother

I’m glad I decided to be a Buckeye with my brother

For some people, having to go to school with an older sibling sounds like a glaring negative. For me, it wasn’t a deciding factor, but it was definitely a plus. I consider myself very lucky to have an older brother that was so willing to share his school with me.

Before being accepted to Ohio State, I was convinced it was way too big for my liking. For a while, I didn’t even consider applying. But my brother was adamant about wanting me to see the Ohio State he knew and loved, and over time I did. After each visit, the campus became smaller, the people became more familiar and I became more excited about becoming a Buckeye.

If I knew two years ago that going to college with my older brother would make the best four years of my life even better, I would have never hesitated to come to Ohio State. Going to school together has had a myriad of perks, but there are a few that stick out in particular.

My brother and I in the middle

He’s encouraged me to try new things

My brother is just a bit more of a risk taker than I am. His tendency to throw caution to the wind has resulted in him ending up in some interesting situations, making him a good source of information regarding the best and worst of what Ohio State has to offer.

He’s never been shy about sharing his experiences and encouraging me to go and try things out for myself. As a result, I’ve come to know a lot about some unique and interesting people, places, and things in and around Ohio State, such as the best study spots, the best restaurants, and the infamous Tidal Wave shot.

Yeah…it was rough

Rides to and from school are much less boring

I-71 has to be one of the most boring stretches of road in the country, so it’s always great to have an extra person in the car to point out every cow and cornfield you pass by, especially if you’re heading to the same place.

Even though we only live a little over two hours away from Columbus, the road leading home or back to school can feel pretty long sometimes. It’s a time when we can talk and catch up without any distractions. It’s also nice to have someone who understands the importance of road trip snacks as much as you do.

I always have someone to hang out with

Between me swiping him into the dining halls and him letting me know what the plans are for the weekend, it’s rare that a few days go by without us seeing each other. Since day one at Ohio State, my brother has always been kind enough to include me and my friends in whatever he and his buddies are doing, even though he didn’t have to. Having the opportunity to hang out with my brother has changed our relationship from being just siblings to being friends.

He’s there for me when times get tough

I remember the first time I bombed a final. It was one of those finals that you walk out of and you feel so incredibly stupid and useless. I met my brother for dinner and just vented everything to him. He listened and was sincere in his response, saying simply that, “It happens,” but we can’t let it hold us back.

Having someone who can relate to what you’re going through both at school and at home is something I never take for granted. It’s comforting to have a piece of home with you when you get homesick or when you just want to know that you’re not alone.

He’s taught me to appreciate my time at Ohio State

As my brother’s graduation date in May draws closer, he has told me multiple times that these four years go by faster than you think. One day you’re a freshman signing up for your first semester of classes and the next you’re applying to graduate and wondering where the time went. I’ve learned to cherish every tailgate, Toosday, sporting event, and meal I’ve shared with my friends. I’ve learned to step out of my comfort zone and take advantage of all that Ohio State has to offer.

When it comes time for me to graduate, I will not only be grateful that I decided to be a Buckeye, but I will also be grateful that I decided to be a Buckeye with my brother.

Ohio State