My experience with Greek life as a GDI

Trust me, I like Starbucks, yoga pants, and Uggs just as much as the next girl

Prior to getting accepted to college, I was answering every person who asked me if I was going to join a sorority with a quick “no.”

I always knew that I was not the type of girl to rush for any social sorority. However, it was after already being in college that I realized I was not only the wrong type of girl, but that I was a GDI – a God Damn Independent.

I do not have any personal problem or general dislike towards Greek life or anyone who chooses to rush in college. Trust me, I like Starbucks, yoga pants and Uggs just as much as the next girl, but that doesn’t mean that I am a picture perfect example of someone in a sorority. So for anyone who was wondering, no, I am not in a sorority, I just think wearing these Uggs with this pair of leggings and vest is hella comfy… also this skinny vanilla latte is the only thing keeping me awake at the moment.

Some of the more popular reasons to join a sorority include having an automatic group of “sisters,” or friends, and having a way to be involved on campus and within the community. [SPOILER ALERT] You don’t have to be in a sorority to have a good group of friends or be involved. I take pride in the fact that I am not in a sorority but am on the executive board for a campus club, a volunteer for a variety of organizations and still manage to build a solid social network amongst other extracurriculars.

Anyways, being a GDI has perks of its own. I get to skip out on trying to look nice for a TG (themed gathering) or DP (date party) – two terms I recently learned the meaning of. I live for the nights where I don’t have any commitments and can lounge around in my sweats and watch Netflix while drinking an entire bottle of wine in the privacy of my own room. Not having any pressure to attend events, socialize and build friendships with more people than I’d like to is the best part of the GDI lifestyle.

Believe it or not, I have friends of my own who are in sororities and fraternities, which is exactly how I first came to experience the world of Greek life.

It started with my friend Jonathan, a member of Delta Sigma Phi, asking me to go to his fraternity DP with him. Hesitant about a Greek life event, I accepted anyway because Jonathan is a great friend and we always have a crazy fun time together.

In order to prepare for this event, I tried my hardest to attempt the “sorority girl look” in hopes of blending in with all the other girls invited to this DP, who I figured would be in sororities themselves. I had my friend do my makeup and played it safe wearing a short black dress and booties.

In order to properly prepare, I pre-gammed the pre-game that would take place at the Delta Sigma Phi house. Not going to lie, doing this most definitely helped with the initial few minutes after arriving to the official pre-game. Being the GDI that I am, I automatically felt extremely out of place in a house full of frat guys who all knew each other and their dates – some in sororities, some not.

After shaking a few hands, a few drinks, and a round of flip cup, I felt much better and was ready to board the bus that would take us all to a bar downtown where the actual date party was being held. I was excited for the part where we partied downtown because I preferred the bar scene much more opposed to the house party scene.

To my surprise, the date party was SO much fun. The date party felt as similar to any other given night and Jonathan and I had a blast shamelessly dancing the night away together. Also, to end the night on a totally normal note, we drunkenly ate at Cane’s after being bussed back to campus from downtown.

Thank you Uber drive and Canes employees for dealing with us

In conclusion, greek life isn’t so bad after all. I give major credit to the members of Delta Sigma Phi for being so welcoming, friendly, and for hosting a great pre-game and date party. Since the night ended up so much better than I expected, from here on forward, I will no longer be so hesitant to attend another sorority or fraternity event.

I’ll forever be a GDI at heart, but now I know not to knock anything ’till I try it.  I condone any lifestyle that brings one genuine happiness; so when in doubt, choose the path that makes you the happiest version of yourself, whether that constitutes being a GDI or a greek.

Ohio State