BREAKING: Dr. Anthony Fauci is our 2016 commencement speaker

He will be addressing the graduating student body on May 8th

With graduation on the horizon, the commencement speaker for spring semester has finally been announced. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the current head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a prominent scientist in HIV and AIDS research has agreed to address graduates on May 8th in Ohio Stadium.

With big names such as Neil deGrasse Tyson and Marcus Luttrell visiting Ohio State on a nearly monthly basis, it may come as a surprise to some that such a low-profile selection was made. This is due in large part to Ohio State’s decision not to pay commencement speakers for their time.

Despite this, Dr. Fauci is an impressive and brilliant scientist who has played a major role in developing strategies to prevent and treat HIV and AIDS. While his name may not appear on the head of major newspapers, he’s very well known in the scientific community. In fact, he was noted as the 13th most cited scientist from 1983 to 2002 across all scientific journals.

As a graduating senior, I look forward to hearing about Dr. Fauci’s incredible contribution to Health Sciences and I can only imagine that he will have a great deal of perspective to share for us during the next big step of our life!

Ohio State