Police investigate whether body found in Scioto River is that of OSU alum Joseph La Bute Jr

Police are using dental records to ascertain the identity of the body

Investigators are now using dental records to identify a man found dead in the Scioto River.

Franklin Country Coroner, Dr. Anahi Ortiz told reporters that the victim’s records were the fastest option since fingerprints were not available.

Results are expected to be released Thursday morning.

The body of a male in his mid-twenties was discovered by The Columbus Police dive team yesterday afternoon around 1 PM in the river near Interstate 71 and Greenlawn Avenue. According to police, the dive team was searching other parts of the river in connection to several missing persons cases in the area.

There were no obvious signs of injuries or trauma to the body, Ortiz said. But police are treating the death as suspicious considering the location of the body.

Police are using dental records to ascertain whether the body may be that of Joseph “Joey” LaBute Jr., a 26-year-old male and 2011 Ohio State alumnus, who was last seen on the evening of March 5th, at Union Cafe in the Short North.

More to follow.

Courtesy of Columbus Police Department

Ohio State