To deafening cheers in Ohio, Bernie Sanders showed how to take on Donald Trump

‘You don’t go around saying that it’s ok to beat somebody up and I’ll pay the legal fees’

Bernie Sanders told thousands of supporters today that he is the candidate to beat Donald Trump and unite America.

In a packed out rally at Ohio State’s Schottenstein Center, he condemned Trump’s violent rhetoric and told a screaming crowd, “The Democratic Party wants the strongest candidate to defeat Donald Trump. You’re looking at that candidate.”

The Ohio primary on Tuesday is the most important date in his campaign so far and he is looking for a repeat of last week’s surprise victory in Michigan.

The Tab Ohio State covered the rally live on our Facebook page – watch our videos here.

Bernie took on the Republican frontrunner from the very beginning of his speech – and chose to contrast Trump’s supposed incitement of unrest with a rousing, positive message about inclusion and tolerance in America. The lines prompted deafening cheers from the crowd.

He said. “If we stand together as black and white and Latino and Asian American and native American. If we stand together as gay and straight. If we stand together as people who were born in this or emigrated to this country. If we stand together there is nothing we cannot accomplish.”

The event attracted a crowd of all ages. A woman and young son I was waiting in line with had told me that it was her son’s second political rally and he hardly looked to be five years old.

Outside there was a Mexican food van – something you’re unlikely to see at a Trump event.

Rain can’t stop the Bern

Sanders’ major opponent on the Republican side is none other than Donald Trump, and he made it clear that he was not afraid of the New York billionaire. Sanders said: “In virtually every poll that has been out there we beat Donald Trump and we beat him by bigger numbers than Hillary Clinton!” *crowd goes wild*

“You don’t go around saying that it’s ok to beat somebody up and I’ll pay the legal fees,” Sanders said of Trump.

Winning Ohio in the primary Tuesday would be YUUUGE for Bernie.

He made a huge push in just four days to have 17-year-olds be able to vote in the primary. Sanders has been reaching out to younger voters, like these 17-year-olds and challenged the secretary of state in Ohio in a federal court lawsuit that was against the voter suppression effort.

Along with being an avid supporter of gay marriage and being very pro-choice, Bernie Sanders is also on the side of the college students of American.

He believes that we should not graduate with “a degree in one hand and debt in the other.” There was a good bit of support from the younger crowd at the rally.

One woman even had a cardboard cut out of Bernie wearing a sports jacket.

Whether you are feeling the Bern or not, it is crucial to get out there and vote int the primary this Tuesday, Ohioans!

Ohio State national-us