Another NFL franchise has crossed the line during pre-draft interviews

Ohio State Cornerback Eli Apple was asked about his sexuality

Former Ohio State Cornerback Eli Apple was asked about his sexuality by an Atlanta Falcons coach at the NFL combine.

“The Falcons coach, one of the coaches, was like, ‘So do you like men?'” Apple told Comcast SportsNet. “It was like the first thing he asked me. It was weird. I was just like, ‘No.’ He was like, ‘If you’re going to come to Atlanta, sometimes that’s how it is around here. You’re going to have to get used to it.”

This is not the first incident involving NFL franchises crossing the line when interviewing prospects. In 2010 former Miami Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland apologized after asking Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute.

In 2013 the NFL launched an investigation after Nick Kasa, Denard Robinson, and Le’veon Bell claimed they were asked about their sexual orientation at the combine.

The NFL has a policy to neither consider nor ask about sexual orientation during these interviews.

“Teams are expected to follow applicable federal, state and local employment laws,” the league said in a statement in 2013.

Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be drafted into the NFL, went to twitter to voice his opinion on this story.

Falcons head coach Dan Quinn issued an apology following this incident.

“I am really disappointed in the question that was asked by one of our coaches,” Quinn said. “I have spoken to the coach that interviewed Eli Apple and explained to him how inappropriate and unprofessional this was. I have reiterated this to the entire coaching staff and I want to apologize to Eli for this even coming up. This is not what the Atlanta Falcons are about and it is not how we are going to conduct ourselves.”

Apple impressed scouts at the combine after running a 4.40 40-yard-dash and compiling 13 reps on the bench press. He also looked like a natural pass catcher during pass catching drills; hopefully this debacle by the Falcons does not affect his draft stock.

Ohio State