The unofficial Ohio State basketball report card

Someone got a D

With March Madness approaching it remains unclear if the Ohio State Buckeyes will make the tournament. However, there are still some games left for the Buckeyes to prove they belong in the dance.

The Buckeyes (19-11) are currently looking to upset #2 Michigan State this Saturday which would strengthen their resume for the tournament. With this being the last game of the regular season it is a good time to grade each player’s performance on a scale from A to F for the regular season.

#00 Mickey Mitchell: C+

The freshman forward has had his highs and lows this year. He was forced to sit out the first 10 games of the season until the NCAA ruled him eligible to play. Mitchell scored a clutch basketball in overtime on the road against Illinois. He was a starter in the Buckeyes upset against #8 Iowa where he scored six points and pulled down seven rebounds.

However, he was a non-factor against #6 Michigan State where he recorded zero points while missing a wide-open dunk attempt. However, expect Mitchell to continue to improve as he gets more playing time.

#1 Jae’Sean Tate: B-

The sophomore forward was one of the most consistent players on offense and defense for the Buckeyes this season. He recorded five double-doubles this season and averaged 11.7 points per game. However, his season was cut short after re-aggravating a shoulder injury that was originally suffered in high school against Nebraska.

His absence will be tough to fill for the Buckeyes and is why he only receives a B-.

#2 Marc Loving: B+

Loving has led the Buckeyes in scoring this year with 13.3 points per game. He has also scored over 20 points four times this season. Overall offense has been Loving’s strong suit, but he needs to improve on the defensive side of the ball in order to become a complete player.

#4 Daniel Giddens: B

The freshman center has been a nice compliment to Trevor Thompson. Giddens has played with a fire this whole season and has made some freakishly athletic plays. His six blocks against UT Arlington only show the surface of this player’s untapped potential.

However, as athletic as Giddens is he is still extremely raw and needs to continue to refine his offensive game. He is only shooting 38.8 percent from the free throw line, that must improve.

#10 David Bell: D+

The 6’10 freshman is averaging just 6.2 minutes per game has not scored since the Buckeyes played at #3 Maryland on January 16th. However, he did pull down two rebounds against #8 Iowa in only one minute of play. He needs more minutes.

#12 A.J. Harris: B-

The freshman guard has been both an effective starter and contributor off the bench. He scored a career high 11 points in a loss at #22 Purdue and also contributed two three’s in the upset of #4 Kentucky. However, he only average 2.7 points per game this season needs to improve if he wants a higher grade.

#13 JaQuan Lyle: B

JaQuan has been an unstoppable force at times and inconsistent at others. For example he posted his first career triple-double against Rutgers. He has also scored 29 at Indiana and 27 at Wisconsin. However, the freshman guard was cold against UConn going 0-7 from the field with three turnovers. His season average of 10.1 points per game along with 4.0 rebounds per game and 4.3 assists per game make his performance worth a B.

#14 Joey Lane: C-

The walk-on freshman has appeared in six games this season, and made a 3-pointer against Mercer. Jake Lorbach has even called him his “successor” on his twitter account. However, Lane will have to continue to improve if he wants to follow in the footsteps of Lorbach.

#15 Kam Williams: A-

Kam has been one of the best shooters the Buckeyes have had this season. The sophomore guard also known as “The Microwave” has made 46.2 percent of his 3-pointers this season. His 22 point performance against Grambling State and his 21 point performance against Northwestern, fell just short of tying his career high of 23 points set last year against High Point. Check out his clutch three against Iowa to see why he is a Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year Candidate.

Dagger #Microwave #BucketLottery

A video posted by From Baltimore, MD (@kamwilliams15) on Feb 28, 2016 at 4:11pm PST

#32 Trevor Thompson: B+

The 6-11 transfer from Virginia Tech has been an anchor at the center position for the Buckeyes this season. He had five blocks in the victory against #4 Kentucky and he also had three double-doubles this season. Take a look at this video to see how Thompson dominated in the paint this season.

Ohio State