Large turnout at OSU’s suicide prevention event RUOK?

Multiple organizations took part in this four hour long event

Suicide is the second major cause of death amongst college students. Ohio State decided to dedicate an event which teaches students ways of asking someone they think is suicidal the simple question: “Hey, are you okay?”

Multiple organizations took part in this four hour long event at the Ohio Union on Monday including The Boo Radley Society (The random acts of kindness org), The Student Wellness Center at OSU, and Kind Bar. Each booth had a fun and educational activity for all the students including ways to ask friends if they need help through various mock situations, as well as contact numbers for counseling and group therapy. The Boo Radley society decided to spread their positive spirit and have a post it note system set up at their booth. Students would write down positive messages and leave them for other students and in  return take ones others wrote.

In addition, free shirts were given to the first 500 people along with free pizza and Cheryl’s cookies. Free coloring pages, footballs, and other items were also given out. The event was not only set up to educate the student body, but also spread awareness throughout the Ohio State community.

If you are thinking of harming yourself or need a safe, non judgmental place to talk call:  614.221.5445 / 800.273.8255 (TALK)

Ohio State