Everything you should do at OSU before winter ends

Because winter in Ohio makes everything more difficult

It’s that time of year again. Not exactly spring yet, but way past the holiday season. As spring makes its debut soon, and we are still faced with icy temperatures, here are some last minute activities any OSU student would appreciate.

Spend one day lying in bed

Preferably a very cold day where you’re so comfortable that you don’t want to move or talk to anyone. Make some hot chocolate with Kroeger’s giant marshmallows and cuddle up in your comforter and enjoy the coziness! Also steaming hot popcorn and a good movie always help!

Enjoy your comfort food at Sloopy’s

Viva la Sloopy’s

We all have that one special order on the menu that is so so good (but probably super unhealthy). However, as unhealthy as it may be, this is the season for hibernation and storing up on comfort food! Eat with friends or family and enjoy your comfort food without feeling the guilt!

Go to Easton

One of the biggest and best malls in america which is only a 20 minute drive from campus! Enjoy a day of shopping and hitting up all the winter sales as stores are clearing out for spring wear! College students live on the word “sales” so why not take advantage of all of them?

Take an RPAC class

If you’re into running or cardio that’s totally fine because the RPAC offers many classes that don’t involve either! Try out a Yoga class or strength training! Learn hip hop or Zumba! They’re all great workouts and a welcoming environment! I was really nervous to go alone to them, but the people are very warm and friendly! You’ll feel wonderful walking out of the RPAC post workout with the cool air hitting your sweaty face.

Reinvest in your hobbies

Winter break was all about downtime, catching up with hometown friends and family. We watched netflix, napped, ate our favorite foods, and occasionally left the house. Now that we’re back in school, hobbies become an enjoyable and relaxing paradise from the heavy workloads we are enduring. Whether you love to play the guitar, or you’re really into knitting, find time to do that! It’ll make the harsh winter go by faster and you’ll become less stressed!

Go to Kafe Keuroac

The coffee and giant cookies available at Kafe Keuroac on High Street

A coffee shop far North Campus, Kafe Keuraoc is an adorable little niche that houses some of the best coffee combinations and desserts. The environment is very cozy and home-like. Play some board games there (which they have available) with friends! Grab a cup of Mark Twain (yes that is a drink name), or knock out some homework. I would go there everyday if I lived on north campus, but even the trek from south is still worth it. Also on weekends they sometimes host OSU bands and every Thursday is a comedy stand up night!

Check out the Wexner Center for the Arts

If you haven’t heard of the Wex, it is located on the Oval and houses different art exhibits monthly as well as movies! Admission is $6 and you can find out all the different films and galleries coming soon by going to their website which is www.wexarts.org

Join a new student org

I joined the Boo Radley Society, the random acts of kindness club at Ohio State and was probably the best decision I made so far in my freshman year

As spring semester is finally settling it, joining a new student organization can always help you meet new people, find a new passion, or do something you’re already passionate about! It’s not too late to join most of them and it’ll probably be a decision you don’t regret! Try a student org that you thought you would never join and give it a go! You might end up having an amazing spring semester because of it!

Meet someone new in every spring semester class you’re taking

Okay, i know this one is far fetched BUT having someone you can sit with and talk to in these new classes can make your time spent in class more enjoyable! Also, you can rely on them if you need notes for class if you plan not to attend a lecture. You can also get a friendship out of it most importantly and find more people you can truly connect with! Lets face it, there’s more than 55,000 students on campus, there’s a ton of people who we can connect with and meet throughout our four years here!

A free hockey game at the Schottenstein Center to help my friends and I get out of the midterm blues!

Stay positive

Even though it is only a month into spring semester, it’s hard to get things rolling again after we sat home for winter break or went on vacation. We’re still adjusting to homework, midterms coming up, studying, extracurriculars, and more. As you’re studying into the early hours of the morning or wondering why you should’t sleep in for your 8am when it’s 10 degrees outside, try and keep a positive attitude.

You are here at THE Ohio State University. You are furthering your education, and are on the path to getting a job you’ll love. Four years seem like a long time, but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn’t. Try to make the most of it while you still have time here. Even when it is below zero outside.

Ohio State