This isn’t John Kasich’s first rodeo: A look at Ohio’s presidential contender

‘I’m going to win Ohio, and it’s going to be a new day when I win Ohio’

If you’re wondering why Governor Kasich is looking so pale these days, it’s because he’s been standing in the shadow of Donald Trump for the past eight months.

Regardless of political affiliation, it’s certainly exciting to see an Ohio Governor run for President considering the fact the last Ohio Governor turned president was inaugurated over 100 years ago. Against all odds, Kasich has outlasted heavyweights such as Jeb Bush in the presidential primary, but even he has acknowledged that something has to happen soon for him to have a chance of winning. This “something” according to Mr. Kasich is a win in Ohio on March 15th.

“I’ve said if I don’t win Ohio, it’d be time to pack it in. But I’m going to win Ohio, and it’s going to be a new day when I win Ohio.”

It may come as a shock to some, but this is not the first time Kasich has been a part of a presidential race. During his undergraduate career at Ohio State, Kasich was heavily involved in student government. He first made a name for himself on campus in 1970 when he was invited to the White House for a visit with President Richard Nixon, a long time hero of his.

The Nixon Watergate scandal broke out just months after Kasich’s bid for USG Vice President in 1972. This also came at a time when USG was heavily criticized for a lack of minority inclusion, and Kasich’s conservative views didn’t align with the liberal attitudes that were prevalent on college campuses during the Vietnam War. Ultimately, a duo by the name of Michael White and M. Dowling won with a platform based on increasing minority inclusion and improving student-police relations.

Despite all this, Kasich ran for USG President the next year – albeit unsuccessfully yet again. What’s most notable however, is his response to the election process. He threatened a lawsuit against Ohio State’s Board of Elections and entered in to a student-run court tasked with hearing accusations against the board. Ultimately his efforts were unsuccessful, but his presence was undoubtedly noticed.

43 years later, his presidential campaign has flown largely under the radar, even in his home state.

With Super Tuesday coming to a close, Kasich’s last hope to make a name for himself will likely be March 15th in the Ohio Primary. He appears to be optimistic about things, but only time will truly tell.

Ohio State