The importance of a liberal arts education

‘Knowledge is power. It’s not just a cliche, it’s really true’

I can hear my father’s words even now ringing in my ear: “Ha. It’s called a liberal arts degree bud. That’s what’s wrong with you kids today – you don’t understand the importance of getting an education in a variety of different things. It makes you well rounded. Teaches you hard work and discipline when you take classes in stuff you may not necessarily like.”

At the time, I thought he was ridiculous. My thoughts were probably something along the lines of: “What’s the point of any of this? Why take a class that I don’t like, when I don’t even want to be there?”

It didn’t cross my mind that he could have possibly been right, not until I got to college that is.

While in one of my favorite professor’s classes in the beginning of my first semester, he introduced the class to us by explaining the question for our final exam:

“What is the most important aspect of this class for a student in it to come away with? If you’re sitting here in this classroom, there should be a reason. What I want you all to do for the rest of the semester, is to think about why you’re here and what the most important thing is for you to leave with. The university’s seal displays right in front, ‘disciplina in civitatem,’ which translates roughly as ‘education for citizenship.’ That should be a pretty significant suggestion as to how we all should approach our education – for you all as students, as well as for me as a teacher. We are here to learn for the education and betterment of our civilization. That is a pretty important thing to consider as you journey through the next four years.”

That got me thinking. If I’m here for the betterment of society, and not just to learn what I think is cool or fun, maybe taking classes in fields that I may not necessarily be attracted to could be good for not just me, but for my ability to help those around me as well.

You see, what I had failed to consider is by taking classes in different subjects, regardless of the initial interest you have in the class had been, you really do become well rounded, and you just might find that it’s more interesting than you originally thought.

By taking general education credits in a variety of different areas, students are given the opportunity to explore new horizons and to try new things that they would otherwise have not experienced. Taking a diversity of classes not only teaches students hard work and discipline in classes they may not know a lot about, but can also help them to discover new interests and learn new things that give them a wider scope of understanding about life, as well as a wealth of new knowledge.

Another of my teachers, one from all the way back during my freshman year of high school, used to tell us:

“Knowledge is power. It’s not just a cliche, it’s really true. The more knowledge you have, the better comprehension you have of the world around you and the better understanding you have to base your decisions off of. That means not only are you becoming smarter, you’re able to make better decisions for yourself, and in consideration of those around you.”

While sitting in my dorm, debating the topic with my roommates, I started to recall this. Maybe taking classes in physics and chemistry, even as a business or communications major, could be beneficial after all. Maybe all this work that I thought was so pointless was actually helping me to become the person I am in a much deeper way than I ever understood.

Parents love to say: “You’ll understand when you’re older.” Little did I know, they might actually be right.

Ohio State