Everything you need to know about OSU’s most popular bars

As told by a senior who’s been there, done that

From the moment you move into your freshman dorm, everyone is always counting down to the same moment: their 21st birthday. (Unless you’re one of the lucky people who’s able to get your hands on a fake ID, then turning 21 isn’t that big of a deal.)

For those of you who’ve recently turned 21 or have received a new fake ID from one of your lookalike friends, you’re probably wondering which bar is the best fit for you. Good news, the campus portion of High Street gives you your solid fill of options. Bad news, they all have some sort of stereotype. Of course there are more bars than the five included in this article, but these are definitely the most noteworthy. (As for Bullwinkle’s, you can figure that place out on your own.)

The Ugly Tuna Saloona

The Ugly Tuna Saloona is located in the south campus gateway and is known to its regulars simply as “Tuna.” Whether you’re looking to find that special someone (read: a one-night stand) or planning to kick it with your crew for the evening, Ugly Tuna is the place to start your wild night. I mean let’s be real, how can anyone in their right mind turn down $1 wells when you’re living off your parents’ income or that nice refund payment OSU gives you at the start of each semester? A warning to the ladies: Tuna comes with the risk of being fondled by random drunk strangers while you wait at the bar upwards of 20 minutes to get one of those coveted dollar drinks.

Midway

Midway, Midway, Midway. The bar that just recently had to begin checking for student IDs to cut down on the “creeps” that were harassing the college students in the bar. It self-righteously claims to be “the best damn bar on Ohio State’s campus,” but Midway leaves a lot to be desired. Honestly, it’s a better place for the very people whom they are trying to keep out — the creeps. I could honestly see this place shutting down with the opening of Bullwinkle’s or what I like to call the ‘reopening’ of Charlie Bears.

Too’s Spirits Under High

Home to the sounds of an acoustic guitar playing your favorite 90s hits and the infamous tidal wave shot,  “Too’s” is easily the best dive bar on High Street and potentially the whole world. I honestly have never had a bad time at Too’s and will be sad to see it shut its doors in June. For the people who haven’t had an infamous “Too’s moment,” you are really missing out. I hope you will at least get to experience a Toosday before the basement bar closes for good. Just be prepared to sweat off at least 10 pounds and embarrassingly sing the night away.

Out – R – Inn

Part of the Ohio State tradition since the 1960s, Out – R – Inn is the oldest bar on campus and one of the historical Ohio State landmarks. If you have ever stopped foot in this bar, it’s not hard to tell it has a rich history. From the rickety wooden floors and the writing on the bathroom stalls to the forty-plus-year-old alumni normally in attendance, you can literally see the history of Ohio State when you’re there. Just a heads-up for you under-agers out there trying to use your terrible fake IDs: The bouncer here can literally notice a fake ID from the moment you step off High Street on to Frambes Avenue, so don’t even try it.

The O-Patio

The O-Patio — better known as “The O” or  “O-Fratio” — is the weekend home of every fraternity and sorority member that attends The Ohio State University.  Although it is regularly made fun of for being home to all of The Ohio State University Greek life, “The O” can honestly be a fun time for anyone and everyone, especially on Fridays, when they have their OSU-famous ‘beat the clock’ special. Just throw on a retro NBA basketball jersey, a pair of thigh-high shorts, top it off with a pair of Sperry’s, and you will fit right in with the crowd.

Ohio State