I am proud of my blackness

This distaste against us seemed to have happened since we started opening our mouths

Since when was being black and being proud of that considered being unwholesome, explicit, and not appropriate for middle America?

This is my dad and today, people like him would more than likely be arrested for just looking this way because apparently, being too Black is against the law and should not be publicized, apparently.

FYI, he is not a panther.

This distaste against blackness seemed to have happened since people who look like this opened their mouths

My mother would have suffered the same fate too.

This idea that we can turn off our blackness as we proceed down the street past certain blood thirsty police officers, racists, or even people who just fear us is absurd. Why put them in the same category? Well, lately those seem to be the only ones that have provided substantial objections against the melanin in our skin.

In case you were curious, those sexy old people made this.

There’s me with my ashy knee caps, a giant forehead, scattered teeth, and beautiful cocoa skin.

The reason we cannot and will not try to tone our blackness down is not because of the convenience of Black History Month. And it is not because of Beyonce’s “Formation” video either. It is because we cannot tone down, turn off, or erase what God has given us. Just like the moon and stars in space, we cannot be turned off. Just like the air we breathe we, our pride, our skin and our life cannot be turned off, otherwise we die.

Speaking of Beyonce, she has become a surprise figure in the #BlackLivesMatter movement and though she just made it to the party, she made one incredible entrance. Her lyrics to “Formation” were explicit, but they were quite deep in retrospective. If these lyrics mean nothing to you, then no harm no foul, because she was speaking to a particular group of people, and just because you may not belong to that certain group of people does not mean that you can’t enjoy the song.

Yeah. Holla back.

Ohio State national-us